Help needed with strong name web part

Wei-Dong XU [MSFT]

Hi Philip,

Thank you for the replying!

From your configuration line,
<SafeControl Assembly="Interop.HighlandMedia" Namespace="HighlandMedia"
TypeName="*" Safe="True" />
<SafeControl Assembly="MyStock" Namespace="MyStock" TypeName="*"
Safe="True" />

I think the value for the attribute "Assembly" is not correct. Since your
two assemblies has been added into the GAC, we will have to specify the
full name here, for example
system, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

For retreving the full name of the two assemblies, I'd suggest you can use
the command in the console window.
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\gacutil.exe /l
Interop.HighLandMedia
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\gacutil.exe /l MyStock

The gacutil.exe is the tool to manage the GAC. The /l argument is used to
list the full name of the installed assembly. If your two assemblies has
been installed well in the GAC with the Interop.HighLandMedia and MyStock,
you will get the full name after the execution of this utility.

The fullname also contains custom property, which is no use for us now.
Please don't copy it together. Then secify the full name to the attribute
Assembly and test once more.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any question.

Best Regards,
Wei-Dong Xu
Microsoft Product Support Services

Philip Colmer

OK - this brings me full circle :)

If I use the command as suggested, i.e. gacutil /l, it says that the
assembly isn't installed. I've been using the InstallAssemblies tool
recommended in a previous topic thread and selecting the GAC install
location option. Clearly that hasn't bee working properly.

If I try to use gacutil to install the assembly, guess what - it says
"Failure adding assembly to the cache: attempt to install an assembly
without a strong name".

Which is where this thread started, asking how to add a strong name to the
Interop assembly.

So, I'm still stuck with two choices:

1. I either need to add a strong name to the Interop assembly and I don't
know how to do that or

2. I need to be able to install my assemblies into the GAC without a strong
name and I don't know how to do that either.

Regards

Philip