help reading cookie values

Sean

I am trying to read a cookie I set but I am not sure if I really set
it correctly or I am not reading it correctly. I was given the
following instructions to set the cookie. It appears to be working
because in Firefox browser I see the cookie listed for my domain
you set a cookie in a pythonscript like:
context.REQUEST.RESPONSE.setCookie('cookie_name', 'some value',
expires=(DateTime() + 365).toZone('GMT').rfc822(), path='/')

I have been searching everywhere to find information on reading the
cookie value that I set. I used the following code I found which
returns 'no cookiez' in spite of the fact that I see the cookie in my
browser's cookie listing. I must be doing something wrong in the way
I am testing for its existence

import Cookie
import os
thiscookie = Cookie.SimpleCookie()

if 'HTTP_COOKIE' in os.environ:
#if os.environ.has_key('HTTP_COOKIE'): I tried this way also

thiscookie.load(os.environ['HTTP_COOKIE'])

a_code = thiscookie['my_cookie'].value

return a_code

else:

return 'no cookiez'

kyosohma

[...]

This site looks like it has some good information on Cookie handling
(see "cookielib and ClientCookie Example" section:
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/recipebook.shtml

Mike

John J. Lee

[...snip cookie-sending and -receiving code...]
This site looks like it has some good information on Cookie handling
(see "cookielib and ClientCookie Example" section:
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/recipebook.shtml

No, he doesn't want that -- that's for web clients, not web servers.

Wild guess: are you sending a domain attribute in your cookie (sniff
the HTTP traffic to find out, see below)? Try not doing that.

The cookie-receiving code above looks correct (I don't know about the
sending code, because I don't know what framework you're using, and
don't want to read that framework's code). Remember that things like
the cookie's domain and path have to match HTTP request's domain and
path for cookies to be *returned* by the browser to the server.
Simply having been *accepted* by the browser is not enough. The rules
are are fairly complicated, so KISS. You can use a network sniffer
like wireshark or tcpdump to record exactly what Set-Cookie: and
Cookie: headers are being sent, and compare with the domain name,
port, HTTP path and URL scheme (https/http) of the HTTP request that
your browser is making. If you still can't figure it out, post those
things here (change the domain name if you must, but keep the form of
everything strictly unchanged). Or simplify your situation to make it
easier to understand.

Another source of help would be the mailing list for the web framework
you're using.

John