Help the visibility of Python in computational science

dg.google.groups

Hi everyone,

There is currently a competition running that could help give Python in
computational science a bit of visibility. The competition is for the
most popular recently published article on the Scholarpedia website, one
of which is about a Python package "Brian" for computational
neuroscience simulations. If you could take one minute to make sure you
are signed in to your Google+ account and click the g+1 icon near the
top right of the page, it has a chance of winning the competition.
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Brian_simulator

Full disclosure, I'm the first author of that article, and I'd be happy
to win the competition too. :)

More details:

Scholarpedia is an alternative to wikipedia with slightly tighter
control: contributions only allowed from scholars, etc. "Brain
Corporation" is offering $10000 in prizes to the top 3 most popular
entries published between last October and this June based on google +1
votes. It's a bit of a silly popularity contest because of this, but I
still think it would be great if a Python based thing could win it.

"Brian" is a package I wrote (with several others) to do simulations of
spiking neural networks in Python. Read the article if you want to know
more! :)

Thanks all for your attention,

Dan

Chris Angelico

"Brian" is a package I wrote (with several others) to do simulations of
spiking neural networks in Python. Read the article if you want to know
more! :)

Ah, I don't need to read it. You're simulating a brain; the rest is
mere appendix!

(couldn't resist quoting the great detective being wrong)

I don't do social networking though, sorry. Networking is my antidote
to being social. :)

ChrisA

Terry Reedy

Hi everyone,

There is currently a competition running that could help give Python in
computational science a bit of visibility. The competition is for the
most popular recently published article on the Scholarpedia website, one
of which is about a Python package "Brian" for computational
neuroscience simulations. If you could take one minute to make sure you
are signed in to your Google+ account and click the g+1 icon near the
top right of the page, it has a chance of winning the competition.
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Brian_simulator

'Brian' is obviously a play on 'brain', with two letters transposed. But
comparison of the logo on the page above with the image on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_brian
shows another source ;-).

dg.google.groups

It's a thing non-nerds do, Steven. You wouldn't understand.

Sadly for me though, I think the nerds are in the majority here. As of yesterday I got only two additional +1's. Ah well. I had to create a Google+ account for it myself actually. ;)

Dan

dg.google.groups