hex print

Rainer Weikusat

[...]
The compiler will loop over the source
text building the byte code[1], the interpreter will loop over the byte
code.
[...]

[1] Is there a more generic term for this? It's not *byte* code after
all.

I think 'threaded code' would be the appropriate term.

Charlton Wilbur

T> Thanks for the pseudo intellectual advice, Charlton.

Pseudo intellectual is all I expect you're capable of understanding,
O idiot afraid to sign his name to his work.

Charlton

Charlton Wilbur

PJH> The question wasn't idiotic. It was somewhat academic (Solve
PJH> problem A without using obvious feature X), but that's often a
PJH> good way to learn, and especially in an interpreted language it
PJH> is often worthwhile to use complex builtins instead of
PJH> explicitely coding a loop (less interpreter overhead).

"Here's a list of things. I wish to translate them into another
representation without using a loop."

The question is fatuous on its face. You cannot do it without a loop;
the best thing you can do is to make the loop implicit rather than
explicit. Of course there are loops elsewhere in the code; but more
importantly than that, any solution to the problem will involve a loop
in the algorithm that does the calculation.

Asking an idiotic question under a pseudonym? I have no problem
applying the word "idiotic" and meaning it.

Charlton

Trifle Menot

It is ... not useful to give an answer which is obviously true at some
level, but doesn't match the level of the question.

He still doesn't get it, after you spelled it out for him.

Some people just like showing their ass in public. I think that's one
reason why web forums are more popular than usenet. They can keep the
ass clowns under control.

Usenet is more efficient though, if you can ignore the ass clowns.

Charlton Wilbur

moron> He still doesn't get it, after you spelled it out for him.

If by "get it" you mean understand the point, you're wrong. I
understand it just fine; I disagree with it.

If by "get it" you mean agree, that was a lost cause to begin with. If
ten people say an idiotic thing, it is still an idiotic thing. If ten
thousand people say an idiotic thing, it is still an idiotic thing, and
they can found a political party.

Charlton