hiding querystring in URL

Lord Merlin

if I have a page which insert info into a DB, and then redirects the user to
another page, with the following code:

Response.Redirect("index.asp?p=confirm&Action=" & Request("Action") &
"&FName=" & Server.URLEncode(Request("FName")) & "&Email=" &
Request("Email") & "&newcode=" & Server.URLEncode(newcode) & "")

how can I hide the stuff after the URL? This is what I get:

http://hobbit/newhp/index.asp?p=confirm&Action=New&FName=Rudi&Email=theesain
(e-mail address removed)&newcode=M7EW1RZO

This is not a form, so it's not todo with the GET / POST actions.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends
(John 15:13).

Lord Merlin

: Lord Merlin wrote:
: > if I have a page which insert info into a DB, and then redirects the
: > user to another page, with the following code:
: >
:
http://hobbit/newhp/index.asp?p=confirm&Action=New&FName=Rudi&Email=theesain
: > (e-mail address removed)&newcode=M7EW1RZO
: >
: > This is not a form, so it's not todo with the GET / POST actions.
:
: Well, that *is* a get request, but anyhoo:
:
: 1. Hiding querystrings from the browser address bar is usually done with
: a frameset that fills the viewport. Don't go this route, users can't
: bookmark your pages and if search engines do find your content then
: incoming links go deep into the site without the frameset anyway so it's
: useless at best.
: 2. Pass the primary key id on the querystring instead.
: 3. Use Server.Transfer
: 4. Use Sessions (either native or custom-built)
: 5. Re-write the page logic to not require the redirect
: --
: Andrew Urquhart
: - FAQ: www.aspfaq.com
: - Archive: www.tinyurl.com/38kzx
: - Contact: www.andrewu.co.uk/contact/
: - Employ me: Front/middle tier ASP developer with WAI & web standards
:
:
Ok, fair point, but ......
1) The site was originally in frames, and now I'm taking it out of frames
2) I don't follow you on this one.
3) sounds like a good option to try out
4) sound like a good option to try out
5) different options require different redirects, thus I can't have all the
redirected pages' info in one file

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
+27 (82) 926 1689

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends
(John 15:13).

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

You forgot to finish a sentence in option 2 :)

I caught that a couple minutes ago. Thanks!

Lord Merlin

heh, it looks like I cause quite a stir on the NG :)