Horizontal menu bar header

Joined
May 12, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

I am designing a website and I want to need a horizontal menu bar header that is identical to the wix header. I attach screenshots of each menu header.

Here's the code for my Home.htm page:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>SRTC Member's Area!</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css\stylemain.css">
</head>
<ul>
</ul>

And here's the CSS code for my stylemain.css page:

Body {
font-family: 'arial narrow';
background: url(/srtc-graphs.jpg);
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
width: 875px;
}
.navigation-menu ul {
padding: 0px;
margin: 0px;

}
ul {
padding: 0;
overflow: hidden;
background-color: white;
font-size: 10px;
}

li {
float: left;
}

li a {
display: inline-block;
color: black;
text-align: center;
padding: 10px 20px;
text-decoration: none;
}

li a:hover {
background-color: none;
}

#navigation ul
{
font-size: 1.4em;
}

#navigation ul li
{
display: inline;
color:black;
}
#navigation li:not:)first-child):before {
content: " | ";
}

Can you help me with my coding?

Niall

Attachments

  • Wix-header.jpg
    Wix-header.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 57
  • horizontal-menu-bar.jpg
    horizontal-menu-bar.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 56
Joined
Nov 13, 2020
Messages
302
Reaction score
38
If you wanted the menu on one line then either the width is too small or the characters are too large. Personally, in modern times a width of 875px is far too narrow not to mention that this is not responsive design. But here is my CSS for your HTML:
Code:
//lower case b
body{
    font-family: 'arial narrow';
    background: url(/srtc-graphs.jpg);
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    width: 875px;
}
.navigation-menu ul {
    padding: 0px;
    margin: 0px;
}
ul {
    padding: 0;
    overflow: hidden;
    background-color: white;
}
li {
    float: left;
    font-size: x-small;  // moved from the body rule and changed to a smaller size
}
li a {
    display: inline-block;
    color: black;
    text-align: center;
    padding: 10px 20px;
    text-decoration: none;
}
li a:hover {
    background-color: none;
}
#navigation ul {
    font-size: 1.4em;
}
#navigation ul li {
    display: inline;
    color: black;
}

// Changed
#navigation li:not:)first-child):before {
    content: "|";
}

Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
9
1. It would probably work better if you actually placed the menu within the body element of the document instead of placing it between the head and body.

2. <div id ="navigation"> the equal sign should follow directly after the attribute name <div id="navigation">.

4. In your stylesheet identify it like this, div.navigation. If you place a menu in both the pager header and footer you access them like this, #header .navigation{} and #footer .navigation{}
two menus styled differently using the same starting base.