How can I make an existing object read-only?

Alex Martelli

Johannes Eble said:
Will your book also be influenced by Design Patterns in Dynamic
Languages e.g. Common Lisp? Peter Norvig argues that 16 GoF Patterns
are simply workarounds of C++ like language shortcomings. It would be
very interesting to see such a discussion for Python. Also, Norvig's
slides are somewhat too terse for me (as well as Lisp macros etc.).
It's a pity that most of the pattern books are based on the GoF book
only.

I recommend The Design Patterns Smalltalk Companion, an excellent book.
And yes, I have the same observation on some of _my_ too-terse slides
(at www.strakt.com): some classic patterns are workarounds for static
typing (and, also, for non-firstclassness of some constructs, to a
lesser extent).

Outside of the GoF's book, there's actually a wealth of pattern books.
Fowler's "Analysis Patterns" and "Refactoring", all the PLoP books,
Schmidt's work (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/patterns-ace.html),
etc, etc...

Alex

Johannes Eble

Hello Alex,

Yep -- I've been writing about DPs with/for Python for years now (that's
the invariable background to almost all of my conference talks &c, check
most of them out at www.strakt.com), and one day (once I'm done doing
2nd editions of cookbooks and nutshells;-) I hope to write a book about
that (plus materials on agile programming practices, again with Python
as the explanatory language).

Will your book also be influenced by Design Patterns in Dynamic
Languages e.g. Common Lisp? Peter Norvig argues that 16 GoF Patterns
are simply workarounds of C++ like language shortcomings. It would be
very interesting to see such a discussion for Python. Also, Norvig's
slides are somewhat too terse for me (as well as Lisp macros etc.).
It's a pity that most of the pattern books are based on the GoF book
only.
See

http://norvig.com/design-patterns/

Best regards