How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

FrancisC

How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

EXP 0 R:\000\un\111\e00\e00noLog\1006\bdry_arc.e00
ARC 2
1 1 0 0 0 0 7

i.e., I want to get the "7" in the third line, how can I do that?

thx!!

Mike Wahler

FrancisC said:
How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

EXP 0 R:\000\un\111\e00\e00noLog\1006\bdry_arc.e00
ARC 2
1 1 0 0 0 0 7

i.e., I want to get the "7" in the third line, how can I do that?

Please see the replies you already got to this
same message you posted in alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

And if you want to post to more than one group, crosspost,
don't multi-post.

Thank you.

-Mike

FrancisC

how to crosspost?

Mike Wahler said:
Please see the replies you already got to this
same message you posted in alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

And if you want to post to more than one group, crosspost,
don't multi-post.

Thank you.

-Mike

Mike Wahler

FrancisC said:
how to crosspost?

When you write your message, list all the newsgroups
you want to post to in the 'newsgroup' field (but
use this feature sparingly, it's rarely appropriate
to post the same message to more than two or three
groups).

See www.usenet.org for more information about
how to use Usenet effectively, including why
not to "top-post" as you've just done. :)

-Mike

Mark McIntyre

how to crosspost?

By reading your newsreader's instruction manual. Press F1 now and type
"crosspost" in the search box.

Seriously, we can't help you, because its offtopic in CLC and you're
using a different newsreader to many of us. Please don't tell us what
it is, we know already its Outhouse Express 6.

Joona I Palaste

Hello Mark McIntyre,
How did you know?

Perhaps from this bit here:

From (e-mail address removed) Sun Oct 12 21:05:43 2003
From: "FrancisC" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:46:13 +0800

how to crosspost?

"Mike Wahler" <[email protected]> ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

(snip)
BTW which newsreader am I using?

Let's see.

From (e-mail address removed) Sun Oct 12 21:05:53 2003
From: "(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:46:44 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c

I couldn't find any such information from your headers, sorry.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"Stronger, no. More seductive, cunning, crunchier the Dark Side is."

Mark McIntyre

Hello Mark McIntyre,

How did you know?
BTW which newsreader am I using?

Because the headers said so. But you knew that, or you'd not be busy
munging yours now. Probably XNews or webmail by the way.

Guest

Hello Mark McIntyre,

Because the headers said so. But you knew that, or you'd not be busy
munging yours now. Probably XNews or webmail by the way.

Oh! Don't acuse me of munging my headers :)
All I was trying to say was that you cannot confirm by just seeing the
headers.

Now guess where this post originated.
Answer the X-question ;)

Alan Balmer

Hello Mark McIntyre,

Oh! Don't acuse me of munging my headers :)
All I was trying to say was that you cannot confirm by just seeing the
headers.

Now guess where this post originated.
Answer the X-question ;)

These games are not topical to c.l.c. Please go elsewhere.

Alan Balmer

Hello Alan Balmer,

Your using Agent?
Yes. I have no need to hide my newsreader.
Right click. Kill filter. Subject OT
:)

Done?
Off topic is still off topic, whether identified as such or not.

You apparently operate on the theory that if I choose to drive on the
wrong side of the road, it's your responsibility to get out of the
way.

Take your silliness elsewhere.

Guest

Hello Alan Balmer,

Yes. I have no need to hide my newsreader.

Did I ask you whether or not you have any such need?
Off topic is still off topic, whether identified as such or not.

So when the **** did I say its On topic?
Why don't you get behind
You apparently operate on the theory that if I choose to drive on the
wrong side of the road, it's your responsibility to get out of the
way.

No. And I hate crude analogies, so keep 'em to yer self.
Take your silliness elsewhere.
What's your prob pal? You don't like it you don't read it. You don't own the
group, do you?
One more unkind reply from you and you join my killfile.

You don't like me - put me in your kill file and shut up.

Guest

(e-mail address removed)>

Hello Alan Balmer,

And learn how to put a sig separator. It's "-- " don't forget the space.

Bye.