How do I write a script to generate 10 random EVEN numbers and writethem to a .txt file?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kenz09, Jul 8, 2013.

  1. Kenz09

    Kenz09 Guest

    Hi, I have been given a task to do. I am a new to programming and Python.
    My task is to :
    -Create a function that is called from the main function, that accepts a number as a parameter and determines if the number is even or odd.
    the next one is,

    -To create another function that generates a random number, and basically when i print this function, it should give me a list of random number separated by a "," commma or in a list.

    -And lastly to enhance my script to generate 10 random EVEN numbers and write them to a .txt file.

    This what I have done so far.

    import random

    if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()
    for i in range(10):
    print random.randrange(0, 101, 2)

    with open ("C:\Users\Kenz09\Documents\Myproj.txt", "w") as f:
    print f
    f = open("C:\Users\Kenz09\Documents\Myproj.txt", "a");
    print f

    value = (
    random.randrange (0, 101, 2),
    random.randrange(0, 201, 2),
    random.randrange(0, 301, 2)
    )

    random_numbers[0]
    random_numbers[1]
    random_numbers[2]

    print f.write(str(value))
    print f.write(str(value1))
    print f.write(str(value2))
    f.close()

    Kenz09, Jul 8, 2013

  2. Kenz09

    Dave Angel Guest

    One of your classmates has already posted the question. However, you
    win the prize for a better subject line. Or are you the same student,
    changing your name and wasting our time by starting a new thread.
    Where's your main function?
    Why is everything at top level, and not inside the function(s) ?
    That semicolon comes from another language. Very seldom any need for it
    in Python.
    The reason the instructor told you to do 10 is probably to discourage
    you from typing separate statements for all 10. You're undoubtedly
    supposed to use a loop.
    When you asigned it, you called it value, but now you expect it to have
    another name?
    Why not start by doing the first statement of the assignment, and if you
    can't make it work, or don't understand some part of the question, ask
    again? Show your work, not just a bunch of random statements, most of
    which won't execute.

    If I were wording that first question, I'd say something like:

    """
    Create a function that accepts a integer as a parameter and determines
    if the number is even or odd, returning a boolean value accordingly.

    Call that function multiple times from the main function, with a variety
    of values, indicating for each whether it's even or odd.
    """

    Dave Angel, Jul 8, 2013

  3. Considering the body of the question and his GMail user icon thingy
    are identical, I think that's a rigged question.

    Joshua Landau, Jul 8, 2013
  4. Kenz09

    Dave Angel Guest

    I didn't notice that the actual gmail address was the same; somehow when
    I saw it prefixed by the Sanza101 and Kenz09 it looked different.

    However, the body was entirely different, thoroughly rephrased.

    For example, first question in each, respectively, was:

    Create another function that generates a random number (You will have to
    import the relevant library to do this)

    Dave Angel, Jul 8, 2013