How do you pass along a mouse event?

Knute Johnson

How do I pass along a mouse event that is collected in a MouseListener
to the parent component? Component.processMouseEvent() is protected so
you can't call that from the listener.

I have a panel that has a bunch of components on it that I detect mouse
clicks on. The panel is in a dialog. I want to signal the dialog to
close after the user clicks on the on one of the components and that
mouse event is processed.

Would you use a PropertyChangeListener for this and call
firePropertyChange() from the mouse listener?

Thanks,

Tom Hawtin

Knute said:
How do I pass along a mouse event that is collected in a MouseListener
to the parent component? Component.processMouseEvent() is protected so
you can't call that from the listener.

It is theoretically possible to create a new mouse event and dispatch
that. See 1.5, er, javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicInternalFrameUI for some
long and tortuous code to attempt that.

Probably a better way is not to interfere with the event (add mouse
listeners interferes, which is dumb design, but the way it is). In a
trusted environment you can use an AWTEventListerer Toolkit. In an
untrusted environment you will need to push an EventQueue (which also
allows you to intercept the event).
I have a panel that has a bunch of components on it that I detect mouse
clicks on. The panel is in a dialog. I want to signal the dialog to
close after the user clicks on the on one of the components and that
mouse event is processed.

Would you use a PropertyChangeListener for this and call
firePropertyChange() from the mouse listener?

Usually you would listen to an event that makes sense to the component
in question. An ActionEvent or perhaps a ListDataEvent.

Tom Hawtin