How fast does your Ruby run?

Chuck Remes

Program changed a little:

Someone is going to point this out sooner or later so it may as well be me.

Your "benchmark" doesn't test Ruby performance. It tests the performance of the Enumerable#inject method. Each runtime will have different results for running that one method but you can't really draw any conclusions about overall runtime performance. It's a micro-benchmark without a lot of usefulness.

cr

Robert Dober

How fast does my Ruby run?! You've never heard of The Millenium Ruby?
It's the version that made the GNU/Kessel run in less than 12
parsecs!

It's run faster than Imperial programming languages. Not the local
bulk Java installs, mind you. I'm talking the big MS C# installs.

Actually it runs slower than those, but it seems faster because the
others normally depart when the Millenium Ruby has already arrived.
Well depends on the pilot too.
R.

Jian Lin

Chuck said:
Someone is going to point this out sooner or later so it may as well be
me.

Your "benchmark" doesn't test Ruby performance. It tests the performance
of the Enumerable#inject method. Each runtime will have different
results for running that one method but you can't really draw any
conclusions about overall runtime performance. It's a micro-benchmark
without a lot of usefulness.

It is just to get an idea, really.
How comprehensive do you expect the benchmark to be when the test is
only 2 nested loops in 3 lines?

Jeff Moore

Jian said:
How fast does your Ruby run?

I got 53648 iterations per second running the following program,
on an Intel 3.2 GHz HT, Win XP machine:

--------

C:\> ruby calculate.rb
55

Ruby 1.8.6 patch 0 on i386-mswin32
It took 18.64 seconds to run. 53648 iterations per second.

Running the original code:

Ruby 1.9.1 patch 378 on x86_64-linux
It took 1.277456379 seconds to run. 782805 iterations per second.

Compiled on a Phenom II X4 955 with gcc 4.4.1 with -O3 -mtune=native
OS: Ubuntu 9.10

Joined
Jul 30, 2022
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Running the original code:

Ruby 1.9.1 patch 378 on x86_64-linux
It took 1.277456379 seconds to run. 782805 iterations per second.

Compiled on a Phenom II X4 955 with gcc 4.4.1 with -O3 -mtune=native
OS: Ubuntu 9.10

This is on my MacBook Air M2 as on 2022-07-30:

Ruby 2.6.8 patch 205 on universal.arm64e-darwin21
It took 0.321619 seconds to run. 3109269 iterations per
second.

Joined
Jul 30, 2022
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
This is on my MacBook Air M2 as on 2022-07-30:

Ruby 2.6.8 patch 205 on universal.arm64e-darwin21
It took 0.321619 seconds to run. 3109269 iterations per
second.

That's a bit interesting... my MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16 inch is slower than the M2:
(both machines freshly rebooted running almost nothing)

Ruby 2.6.8 patch 205 on universal.arm64e-darwin21
It took 0.346958 seconds to run. 2882193 iterations per
second.

Last edited: