How GMail works ?!?

Can Uzun

Hi;
sorry if this is a re-post.

My question is basically this...
When you receive an email and you already have a GMail page open, it
shows you the new mail without refreshing (or it does that at
background), now my question is this; i am sure my browser is not
querying GMail every second if there is a new email, so their server has
to trigger my browser in some way?!?

I assume; if this can be done with asp.net i can write a chat interface
for my website without using applets. Even if this is not possible i
still want to know how gmail does that, is it possible to use socket
programming with web programming or how?

Thank you for your time...

Can Uzun

Can Uzun

Mark said:
They use AJAX...
No, i know they use AJAX but how in the backgroun does it work, as far
as i know there are ajax dlls for .net platform, so can i do the same
thing an asp.net?
Thank you...

Flinky Wisty Pomm

<assertion confidence="58%">
They also use an IFrame to which data is continually writen, this
simulates a persistent open connection and removes the need for a poll.

</assertion>

you *can* do something similar with plain ol' AJAX, but I'm willing to
bet that Google have a customised web server for supporting a
persistent connection. Apache 2.0 has an alpha event driven model for
this kind of thang, but IIS so far as I know doesn't have the necessary
infrastructure to build a GMail in the way that Google built it.

If you want to do more complex things than Atlas does out of the box, I
always recommend AJAX.Net professional which is awesomely awesome, but
to get the best use from it, requires a different model for your
code-behind (a *very* clean separation of UI from business-logic and
data tiers) and lots of custom JScript.