How many different values we may pass in a query string?

Andrew

Hello, friends,

I am testing our website (in 2003.net, c#) application. Sometimes there more
values in Querystring, like

http://www.xxxxxx.com/webpage1.aspx...m_number2=43&payer_id=FDUB8TPHR7ZHA&tax=0.00&......

However, if the number of different values in query string is more than 44,
we got error from IE, saying

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

Does that mean .aspx can only accept 44 different values in a query string?
Or there are some other problems here?

Thanks a lot.

bruce barker

a url is limited to about 2k (the exact length depnds on browser and
character sets), your query string is probably being truncated.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Mark Rae [MVP]

Does that mean .aspx can only accept 44 different values in a query
string?

It's not the number of name-value pairs per se, but the length of the actual
URL which is limited to 2,083 characters, at least, in Internet Explorer...

Patrice

AFAIK the total length of the querystring is about 2048... and it can be
browser dependent. My guess is that you are hitting an overall size
limit....

Usually values are posted to the same page using the post method. Have you
choosed to user the QueryString over the post method for some reason ?

For now I would recommend switching back to using the post method...