    detailsview.findcontrol(controlname) then an empty object is returned. How
    can I address these controls?
    Thank you for your time.

    Guest, Nov 22, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Hi Frits,

    In the dropdownlist within the DetailsView's TemplateField add OnDatabinding
    = "DropDownList1_DataBinding" and in the CodeBehind add
    protected void DropDownList1_DataBinding(object sender, EventsArgs e)
    {
    // do something
    }

    Guest, Nov 22, 2005

    Guest Guest

    That's brilliant! Thanks for asnwering so quickly.

    Guest, Nov 22, 2005

    Guest Guest

    You are welcome Frits.

    I might also add that the reason you could not find the control upon
    databinding is that it was not created yet. If you wanted to do it the way
    you tried then you should use the DetailsVeiw.DataBound event instead, e.g,
    DetailsView.DataBound += new EventHandler(DetailsView1_DataBound);

    and then

    void DetailsView1_DataBound(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    if(((DetailsView)sender).CurrentMode== DetailsViewMode.Edit)
    {
    DropDownList
    ddl=(DropDownList)((DetailsView)sender).FindControl("DropDownList1");
    if (ddl1 !=null) //you found the dropdownlist
    {
    //execute statements to add the desired data to it

    Guest, Nov 22, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Thank you, Phillip!
    I tried the databound event earlier, but unfortunately it seems that
    controls in the edititemtemplate are not created at that time. Only when the
    detailsview is actually in edit mode.
    Cheers,
    Frits

    Guest, Nov 23, 2005

    ashishbuddha

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    bindind data in drop dropdownlist in edit mode

    hello frits and philip,

    i am having the same problem. i need to user to pick from drop down list when in edit mode. I am not able to bind it. When i write the codebehind detailsview_databinding, i am getting an error saying the dropperson (which is dropdowmlist id in edit itemtemplate) is not declared. Can u please help me how do i get around this issue.

    Thx
    ashish

    ashishbuddha, Jul 19, 2006