How to check if an object has defined setter?

Piotr K

Hi!

Ok, so I have small problem and can't find solution to it.. Is there
any way to check if an object has defined setter? In other words - if
it's value can be changed?

Small example:

var el = document.getElementById('element');

el.style = "smth";

Browser will throw exception, I can use try..catch but is there way to
just write a function like hasSetter() ?

Thanks fo help!

dhtml

Piotr said:
Hi!

Ok, so I have small problem and can't find solution to it.. Is there
any way to check if an object has defined setter? In other words - if
it's value can be changed?

Small example:

var el = document.getElementById('element');

el.style = "smth";

Browser will throw exception, I can use try..catch but is there way to
just write a function like hasSetter() ?

To look up a setter in environments that support that:
if("__lookupSetter__" in el.style
&& el.style.__lookupSetter__("color")) {

}

But that would not tell you if the value can be changed, or what
acceptable values are. You'd just have to know it. For example, given el
is an HTMLElement:-

el.style.color = null;

Would be a mistake.

If there were edge cases that couldn't be eliminated, you could use
try/catch. But that would add clutter and slow the program down.

Garrett

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Piotr said:
Ok, so I have small problem and can't find solution to it.. Is there
any way to check if an object has defined setter? In other words - if
it's value can be changed?

No, but you can test whether the value changed after you tried.
Small example:

var el = document.getElementById('element');

el.style = "smth";

Browser will throw exception,

BAD. The `style' property of element objects is implemented as a reference
to an object, and its interface specifies it as being read-only.
I can use try..catch but is there way to just write a function like
hasSetter() ?

No. Adhering to standards stands the best chance of not throwing an
exception here.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Style/css.html#CSS-ElementCSSInlineStyle>

PointedEars

Laser Lips

No, but you can test whether the value changed after you tried.

BAD. The `style' property of element objects is implemented as a reference
to an object, and its interface specifies it as being read-only.

No. Adhering to standards stands the best chance of not throwing an
exception here.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Style/css.html#CSS-ElementCSSInlineS...>

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <[email protected]>

Do what ever you need to try and do in a try and catch statement ...
e.g

var worked = false;
try
{
var el = document.getElementById('element');
el.style = "smth";
worked=true;
}catch(e)
{
//in here you can alert(e.message); or set an internal error message
}
if(worked==true)
{
//worked