How to find second match in a file

Cheyne Li

Hi, everyone

My code opens a file and read line by line to find a given string as
first match. After I found one, how can i find the second match, a
different string, which is supposed to appear several lines after the
line of first match in a fast way?

for example, the following is the contents of a file

ka;sdfjaskf;asdfjk
skdfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfk
aks;flasjklfjkassjfksa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbasdfdask;fjsdkalf
*************hello world***************ka;sdjkf;sjadkfj
asdfkasjdkfldjaskl;jfklas;
jaskdl;fjkasdjkfljdskla;jdfs
jkasl;jfkasjdklfjsal;df
asjkdfjkasd;fd;asdfj
***********Ruby*********a;sjdfklsdjal;fjkda;
asdfjjasklfjkdasjkfjaskl;
fjdka;dfdjasjfsd;a

So, after I found the match "hello world" by using a while loop, how can
i find the "Ruby" in the same while loop?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance

Rodrigo Bermejo

Cheyne said:
[...]

Not sure why you need it ...but seems you can do what you need by simple
doing this:
File.readlines("1.txt").each do |line|
if line =~ /hello world/
#do something
p line
end
if line =~ /Ruby/
#do something else
p line
end
end

Robert Klemme

2008/6/25 Cheyne Li said:
[...]

It's probably easiest if you store the state of your search somewhere.

state = :initial

File.foreach "foo" do |line|
case state
when :initial