How to get the private key digital signature?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by antonyliu2002, Mar 31, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    My web application does user authentication through X.509 digital
    certificates in combination with user name and password.

    When the user applies for a digital certificate from my certification
    authority (CA), I have a VBScript code that generates a public/private
    key pair with the RSA algorithm, as well as the certificate signing
    request (CSR) in PKCS#10 format. I assume that the key pair should be
    maintained by the browser (my application support Internet Explorer
    only at this moment). Am I right?

    Now, when the user tries to log into his account, I would like to have
    my web application receive a digitally signed token from the client.
    The token can be the client's username signed with his/her private
    key.

    Since this signing process will happen on the client side, it can only
    be handled by client side script, for example, JavaScript.

    But, how do we get access to the private key with JavaScript? Thanks
    a million.

    AL

    antonyliu2002, Mar 31, 2007