How to initiate HotSync of Palm device?

dylpkls91

I am writing a program that uses the Palm handheld as a sort of input
device. However, the code that communicates with it thru the serial
port locks the port up, so if the user initiates a HotSync on the
device, the operation fails. I would like to have a setup where the
user presses a button on my Palm application to initiate a HotSync and
then continue with the Python program.

It would go like this: user presses special button on Palm, computer
closes Python/Palm connection, HotSync is executed by Python program,
computer reopens Python/Palm connection.

I know how to get the program to wait for a process to finish, but I'm
having trouble initiating a HotSync through Python. While poking around
the Palm Desktop and HotSync system files, I found a DLL called "HSAPI"
with the title "HotSync API", but I'm not sure if this is what I need.
There is no HotSync COM type library in my PythonWin COM browser.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Peter Hansen

dylpkls91 said:
I know how to get the program to wait for a process to finish, but I'm
having trouble initiating a HotSync through Python. While poking around
the Palm Desktop and HotSync system files, I found a DLL called "HSAPI"
with the title "HotSync API", but I'm not sure if this is what I need.
There is no HotSync COM type library in my PythonWin COM browser.

Have you inquired in a Palm forum to learn what the correct method is
for doing this? Surely if there's a way to do it, using that same
approach from Python would be the simplest thing to do. (In other
words, unless there's a ready-made Python module that does this, and I
suspect you've googled for that already, then this is a Palm question
and not really a Python one...)

-Peter

dylpkls91

I posted a similar question on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot and am waiting
for a response. Thank you for your reply; the acknowledgement is
appreciated. I believe that a possible solution would be to use a
command line option of HotSync Manager, but I am not sure what the
correct option would be. Thanks again!

Peter Hansen

dylpkls91 said:
I posted a similar question on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot and am waiting
for a response. Thank you for your reply; the acknowledgement is
appreciated. I believe that a possible solution would be to use a
command line option of HotSync Manager, but I am not sure what the
correct option would be. Thanks again!

I'm not actually aware of the existence of any PC-side method for
initiating a HotSync. My HotSync Manager certainly doesn't show such an
option anywhere that I can see.

-Peter