How to install/configure ruby as a non-root user

Pra Bhandar

Hi,
I am trying to install ruby as a non-root user. I found that with
-prefix this works fine. I am thinking this has something to do with
library path settings. However, I am not sure how to go about figuring
this out. Any help would be highly appreciated.

rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
/kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected Module)
(TypeError)
from ./kernel.rb:18
from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
from ./server.rb:5

Thanks.

Prakash

Florian Gilcher

rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
./kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected
Module)
(TypeError)
from ./kernel.rb:18
from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
from ./server.rb:5

Is server your own code?

If yes, you are just doing something wrong (by calling include with a
Class, not a Module[1]). If this is not your code, contact the author.

This is no problem of the installation.

Regards,
Florian

[1]: If you don't know the difference, read any tutorial on Ruby.

--
Florian Gilcher

smtp: (e-mail address removed)
jabber: (e-mail address removed)
gpg: 533148E2

Pra Bhandar

Florian said:
rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
./kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected
Module)
(TypeError)
from ./kernel.rb:18
from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
from ./server.rb:5

Is server your own code?

If yes, you are just doing something wrong (by calling include with a
Class, not a Module[1]). If this is not your code, contact the author.

This is no problem of the installation.

Regards,
Florian

[1]: If you don't know the difference, read any tutorial on Ruby.

--
Florian Gilcher

smtp: (e-mail address removed)
jabber: (e-mail address removed)
gpg: 533148E2

Hi Florian,

Yes, the server.rb and kernel.rb is internal code. I was starting to go
down that path that you suggested and was thrown off by this one fact.
If I use the default ruby interpreter that was preinstalled in /usr/bin
then I don't get that error. Is there some type of flag that is doing
internal error handling automatically for me in the /usr/bin/ruby that
my install of ruby is not setup to do.

Thank you very much for your response.

Prakash