How to populate a very large recordset into JTable?

Liz

You can use QuickTable to load large number of rows into JTable.
QuickTable initially loads the number of rows which are visible to
users. As the user scrolls down, the data is loaded from Resultset.
Eventually if the users scrolls all 1 billion records they are going to
run into all issues mentioned in this thread. At least quicktable can
help you to load rows as needed instead of loading the full data at
startup.

In quicktable, you can load database query results into JTable in few
statements.

quickTable.setSelectSql("select * from table1");
quickTable.refresh();

Your data will be shown in JTable.

QuickTable is a free java component (http://quicktable.org) which is an
implementation on top of JTable , but hides all the complexities and
allows to use the JTable methods. So you can just replace Jtable with
QuickTable.

Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Agree this could be useful to solve but don't have the answer

There's a little application called Editpad for text editing (though not written in Java). Unlike most text editors, it can successfully open up to a 2 GB file and allow you to scroll up and down through segments of it quite comfortably, and to perform searches on the contents...and use the arrow keys rather than the scroll bar for local scrolling. Indeed, you wouldn't really use the scrollbar, just use the search function to go to appropriate rows. I don't know how it works so well but it is a very neat and useful tool for having a look inside very big files, for example to check out the format, and find a specific line within them, without being limited by system RAM or other factors. It works great & supports my research on 'big datasets'. I assume the person posting has a similar concept in mind and wishes to know how to implement this type of feature in Java Swing (or JTable, if possible).

I am no expert so I cannot provide the solution but I understand why such functionality could be useful and satisfying if it could be got to work. I would just say that the challenge is to solve the problem, not just complain about the question, and some of the posts here were frustratingly negative and unhelpful in a manner which becomes quite tedious. The smart people try to solve the problem posed, not state in categorical terms what is or is not a universally useless property for a piece of software to possess!