How to set a global on the command line?

kj

I often use Johan Vromans' handy script mp3cat, which I downloaded
from CPAN. I invoke it like this, for example:

% mp3cat --output=all.mp3 /some/dir/*.mp3

mp3cat works great most of the time, but lately it has been giving
me problems. I've traced these problems to the value of a certain
global variable, $MPEG::Audio::Frame::free_bitrate. This variable
is undef by default, and mp3cat leaves it unchanged. I discovered
(by running mp3cat in the debugger) that the problems I mentioned
would disappear if I set this variable to the correct bitrate (which
I know).

The only problem now is that mp3cat offers no way to specify a
value for this variable. I could hack mp3cat to add this functionality,
but I wondered, is there was a less "invasive" way to specify the
value of a global variable, e.g. on the command line?

TIA!

kj