    logged in my application crashes. I must right click on app an choose
    "Run As Admin" and then everything works.

    How can I do it to write to registry without "Run As Admin" ?

    miamia, Jun 24, 2011

  2. miamia

    Andrew Berg Guest

    Heh. On Windows 7, using 'runas' for the operation in os.startfile()
    gives me a normal UAC prompt.

    Is there any way to ask for elevation from a subprocess.Popen() call?
    Launching an application that normally asks for elevation automatically
    fails with error 740 - 'The requested operation requires elevation'. The
    runas utility needs an explicit username.

    Andrew Berg, Jun 24, 2011

  3. miamia

    Andrew Berg Guest

    Andrew Berg, Jun 25, 2011
  4. Forgive me -- I've not checked recently (I'm usually trying to kill
    things that set up auto-run stuff)...

    Are there any equivalent registry entries in the /user/ hive rather
    than the system hive? (Appears to be since I found this in regedt32:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
    "AdobeBridge"=""
    "WMPNSCFG"="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\WMPNSCFG.exe"
    "H/PC Connection Agent"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft
    ActiveSync\\wcescomm.exe\""
    )

    Or can you plant a script into the userprofile startup directory?

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jun 25, 2011
  5. * miamia (Fri, 24 Jun 2011 01:08:55 -0700 (PDT))
    Under HKLM oder HKCU? The path itself is of course irrelevant.
    Without an exception?
    Disable UAC.

    Thorsten

    Thorsten Kampe, Jun 25, 2011
  6. * Andrew Berg (Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:02:54 -0500)
    That is because UAC for non-admin accounts /is/ runas.

    Thorsten

    Thorsten Kampe, Jun 25, 2011