how to write to registry without admin rights on win vista/7

miamia

Hello,

In my program I can set to run after system startup (it writes path to
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) but when normal user is
logged in my application crashes. I must right click on app an choose
"Run As Admin" and then everything works.

How can I do it to write to registry without "Run As Admin" ?

Andrew Berg

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hello,

In my program I can set to run after system startup (it writes path to
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) but when normal user is
logged in my application crashes. I must right click on app an choose
"Run As Admin" and then everything works.

How can I do it to write to registry without "Run As Admin" ?

Forgive me -- I've not checked recently (I'm usually trying to kill
things that set up auto-run stuff)...

Are there any equivalent registry entries in the /user/ hive rather
than the system hive? (Appears to be since I found this in regedt32:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
"AdobeBridge"=""
"WMPNSCFG"="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\WMPNSCFG.exe"
"H/PC Connection Agent"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft
ActiveSync\\wcescomm.exe\""
)

Or can you plant a script into the userprofile startup directory?

Thorsten Kampe

* miamia (Fri, 24 Jun 2011 01:08:55 -0700 (PDT))
In my program I can set to run after system startup (it writes path to
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)

Under HKLM oder HKCU? The path itself is of course irrelevant.
but when normal user is logged in my application crashes.

Without an exception?
I must right click on app an choose "Run As Admin" and then everything
works.

How can I do it to write to registry without "Run As Admin" ?

Disable UAC.

Thorsten

Thorsten Kampe

* Andrew Berg (Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:02:54 -0500)
Heh. On Windows 7, using 'runas' for the operation in os.startfile()
gives me a normal UAC prompt.

That is because UAC for non-admin accounts /is/ runas.

Thorsten