hsqldb recommended SHUTDOWN flavour and frequency ?

lordy

Hi all,
I have an application with an inprocess hsqldb instance.
The application is receiving data, storing it in a database, collating
and processing it and then sending it out...
Once sent out the data is deleted, so the DB should be of fairly
constant size overtime but has a lot of churn.

The application is typically long running (ie months hopefully)..

1. Whats the best way to shutdown 'SHUTDOWN COMPACT' or 'SHUTDOWN
SCRIPT'? The look the same except the latter divides the effort between
this shutdown and the next startup - and also provides a script that
would help with hsqldb upgrades and perhaps troubleshooting?

2. Should I periodically shutdown and repoen the database. I think I
remember having to consider this with hsqldb a couple of years ago, but
I'm not sure if it was a hsqldb feature or my lack of understanding..

Lordy

IchBin

lordy said:
[...]

I think that you could keep it running and just do a 'Checkpoint Defrag'
at your own or automated interval.

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)