html dead pixel finder

floortje4

Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't moveor a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

thx floortje

Jonathan N. Little

Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

Captain Paralytic

Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.

I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
using in the past).

Jonathan N. Little

Captain said:
Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.

I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
using in the past).

Except you still have the browser chrome.

floortje

Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

Why ... because i wanted to. Then I posted it here because I thought
it was pretty cool use of html. Ofcourse I could have used paint (if I
had a m$ machine that is) but that is not the point now is it ?

Gene Wirchenko

Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

You installed something on my system that persisted *after* I
closed the page, and I had to restart my browser. When I entered a
character (D did it, but not space), the message about F11 and
full-screen mode appeared.

It might be an artefact of that I usually run with JavaScript
disabled and specifically enabled it to try your page.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jonathan N. Little

Mayeul said:
On 13/03/2012 15:43, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Not me. Kind of the point of the page, really.

And the 'Drag me' text is neither a cake nor a lie.

Not sure which browser you are using, the pages script does not remove
my browser chrome from view...SeaMonkey, Firefox, IE9

dorayme

Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test
if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that
offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a
real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what
u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff
and safari (5.1+)

Yes, this should help some people. There are some minor faults in the
page in case you are interested:

1. See what happens to the text and little iconic boxes when Zoomed
Text Only, better to size your boxes in ems rather than pxs because
then they grow with text size.

2. With JS off, there are wrong instructions about F11 and things for
Safari, even for versions you allow.

3. It does not quite test for dead pixels under the 'drag me !' box.
When dragged, maybe the dead make like Lazarus?

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
No you don't. He was able to make it be full-screen here OS X Lion
Safari 5.1.3.

None of my browsers will go into fullscreen automatically, (which I find
comforting) and only in IE to I get the "Use F11" message. In SeaMonkey
you have to disable the Navigation Bar, (not default), in order to
remove all chrome...

Mayeul

Not sure which browser you are using, the pages script does not remove
my browser chrome from view...SeaMonkey, Firefox, IE9

Firefox, and I'm pretty sure I'm using default settings for this.

The JavaScript code is rather straightforward about the intention to go
fullscreen when you click for it.

floortje

Yes, this should help some people. There are some minor faults in the
page in case you are interested:

1. See what happens to the text and little iconic boxes when Zoomed
Text Only, better to size your boxes in ems rather than pxs because
then they grow with text size.

check, rookie mistake, fixed it :)

2. With JS off, there are wrong instructions about F11 and things for
Safari, even for versions you allow.

Check, fixed it
3. It does not quite test for dead pixels under the 'drag me !' box.
When dragged, maybe the dead make like Lazarus?

What does this mean ? The idea was that the drag-me box could be dragged to check under there. Seemed to me the friendliest ui solution rather than hiding the navigation or something.

Ps, anyone any idea why this doesn't seem to center the child in ff ?

#container {
display: block;
position: absolute;
top: 0;