html validation

terry

Hello. I need just a little more help ... please. At www.w3.org I have
my page errors down from over 200 a week ago to 18 today. There are a
few I cannot figure out (I'm still learning this stuff). 11 of the 18
have to do with a variable in links to products. I'm not so worried
about these because there's probably nothing I can do about it.

The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
know how else to get the background image into the cell.
2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer:
I think we have a classy site but since we sell lingerie and other
romantic gifts, some people "might" find images of women in lingerie
offensive. http://www.4everhers.com

BTW. For those who made the suggestion, I have replaced all of the font
tags with CSS. Was up til after 1:00 am this morning learning how. It
was worth it!

Thanks,
Terry

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry
11 of the 18
have to do with a variable in links to products.

Replace & with & in the links.
The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
know how else to get the background image into the cell.

CSS, of course. :)

background-image: url(image.png);
2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.

You missed the closing quote on the td width. <td width="9%>

terry

Mark said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry

Replace & with &amp; in the links.

CSS, of course. :)

background-image: url(image.png);

You missed the closing quote on the td width. <td width="9%>

Hmmm. I had no idea you could replace & with &amp; in a URL. Sure helps
when you know what you're doing. Those are all fixed.

Yep, I missed the closing quote. I can't tell you how many times I
looked and never noticed. Guess I should actually wear my glasses.

I'll add the background image to CSS tomorrow.

Thanks for your help Mark!!

Blinky the Shark

terry said:
Yep, I missed the closing quote. I can't tell you how many times I looked
and never noticed. Guess I should actually wear my glasses.

What are you editing with? A good editor with syntax highlighting would
have shown you that error because (in my experience) colorization of your
source would've been wrong after the missing closing quotation mark (since
the quote was still open, subsequent markup would've been considered
within it).

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry
Hmmm. I had no idea you could replace & with &amp; in a URL.

You not only can, but you must - hence the validation errors.
Yep, I missed the closing quote. I can't tell you how many times I
looked and never noticed. Guess I should actually wear my glasses.

As Blinky said, if your editor has syntax highlighting it should have
been obvious.
Thanks for your help Mark!!

No problem. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Alan J. Flavell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry

You not only can, but you must - hence the validation errors.

Not "in a URL", but "when representing such a URL in HTML". Or
anything else which happens to contain an & character, for that
matter. URLs are in no way special in this regard!

Big Bill

Hello. I need just a little more help ... please. At www.w3.org I have
my page errors down from over 200 a week ago to 18 today. There are a
few I cannot figure out (I'm still learning this stuff). 11 of the 18
have to do with a variable in links to products. I'm not so worried
about these because there's probably nothing I can do about it.

The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
know how else to get the background image into the cell.

Use css.
2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer:
I think we have a classy site but since we sell lingerie and other
romantic gifts, some people "might" find images of women in lingerie
offensive. http://www.4everhers.com

BTW. For those who made the suggestion, I have replaced all of the font
tags with CSS. Was up til after 1:00 am this morning learning how. It
was worth it!

Learn some more! You're getting there so keep at it.

BB