HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error...HELP!

Trint Smith

I have tried everything...aspreg -i and modifying machine.config and
running the fileupdate...deleting and reinstalling framework 1.1...
It only happens when I do a 'Copy Project' to the webserver...it loads
into vs.net and runs locally just fine...
Any help is appreciated...I'd like to get rid of this forever...I had
this problem on a previous computer at another company last summer and
never did figure out the answer.
Thanks,
Trint

..Net programmer
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Trint,

Does ASP.NET work on the Web server you are copying to? It sounds like you
are using VS.NET 2003. In that case, when you copy a project or create a
project, we try and hit a file (which really doesn't exist) called
get_aspx_ver.aspx. We expect to get a 404 back from the ASP.NET ISAPI
filter. In that response will be a header containing the version of
ASP.NET that's installed.

If there is an issue with ASP.NET on the Web server, it will throw a 500
which is a very generic error.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Trint Smith

It was working last week and I didn't change anything before it stopped
working. Yes, the server is a company called discountasp.net.
Thanks,
Trint

.Net programmer
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Trint,

So when exactly do you get the error? Can you please provide specific
information?

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Trint Smith

Jim,
In vs.net 2003, when I click on 'copy project', about 3 seconds
later...every time...It didn't used to do that and I haven't changed
anything...I checked with my host and they are specifically asp.net and
sql server 2000 (just as I thought) and they didn't know of any problems
with their system so it had to be mine.
Thanks,
Trint

..Net programmer
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Trint,

If I understand you correctly, we know the following:

1) This just started happening out of the blue with no change by you to
the configuration.
2) The problem does not happen if you are working locally.
3) The error is a 500 Internal Server Error only when you try to copy
project to the external URL.

Given those facts, the problem is almost certainly caused by either a
configuration problem on the remote box. Is it possible that your host
could provide the server logs? If so, you can match up your IP to them and
see if it enlightens you any to what might be happening.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Trint Smith

I found the answer!!!
It was something in the web.config being sent back from the web site I
was trying to 'copy project' to.
Thanks,
Trint

..Net programmer
(e-mail address removed)

Guest

What steps did you take? I am getting the same error and I have been unable to fix it.

Trint Smith

You have to delete all of your files on the server (if you have a local
backup of all of your files, making sure you also get web.config
file)...then try copying all files to your site with VS.Net 2003. That
is what worked for me.
Trint

.Net programmer
(e-mail address removed)

deko

Trint Smith said:
You have to delete all of your files on the server (if you have a local
backup of all of your files, making sure you also get web.config
file)...then try copying all files to your site with VS.Net 2003. That
is what worked for me.
Trint

Net programmer
(e-mail address removed)

I recently received the same error. I'm using VS.NET and IIS6 on a WS03
box. My problem turned out to be my IIS config - once I got my Default Web
Site and Application Pool started, the error went away and I was happily
creating ASP.NET Web Applications again.