I know I am beginning to sound whiney... but I need help :/

Mike J.

...but now I have rebuilt my system, and installed ruby, installed
sqlite (which I know works because I have created a database replete
with tables and data and other apps see it, like BeAccessible) but when
I try to install ruby-dbi or sqlite-ruby it bombs.

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.6.4 (2001-06-04) [i586-beos]

sqlite-ruby:

$ ruby extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... yes
checking for sqlite_open() in -lsqlite... no

ruby-dbi:

$ ruby setup.rb show
bin-dir /boot/home/config/bin
rb-dir /boot/home/config/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6
so-dir /boot/home/config/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/i586-beos
ruby-path /boot/home/config/bin/ruby
make-prog make
with dbi,dbd_sqlite
without (not specified)
$

$ ruby setup.rb setup
entering setup phase...
setting #! line to "#!/boot/home/config/bin/ruby"
setup.rb: skip bin/proxyserver(dbd_proxy) by user option
/boot/home/config/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for sqlite_open() in -lsqlite... no
make
make: *** No targets. Stop.
setup failed
'system make' failed
try "ruby setup.rb --help" for usage
$

I am at my wits end!! Does anyone have ANY idea what could be going
wrong?? As I said, other applications see sqlite just fine, why can't
ruby pick it up??

Jamis Buck

Mike said:
...but now I have rebuilt my system, and installed ruby, installed
sqlite (which I know works because I have created a database replete
with tables and data and other apps see it, like BeAccessible) but when
I try to install ruby-dbi or sqlite-ruby it bombs.

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.6.4 (2001-06-04) [i586-beos]

sqlite-ruby:

$ ruby extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... yes
checking for sqlite_open() in -lsqlite... no

Try looking in the mkmf.log file -- it should explain why the last check
is failing. Or, email it (mkmf.log) to me (directly:
(e-mail address removed)) and I'll take a look at it (I'm the author of
sqlite-ruby, so I suppose it's my responsibility...;)).

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
(e-mail address removed)

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'

daz

Jamis said:
Mike said:
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.6.4 (2001-06-04) [i586-beos]

sqlite-ruby:

$ ruby extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... yes
checking for sqlite_open() in -lsqlite... no

Try looking in the mkmf.log file -- it should explain why the last check
is failing. Or, email it (mkmf.log) to me (directly:
(e-mail address removed)) and I'll take a look at it (I'm the author of
sqlite-ruby, so I suppose it's my responsibility...;)).

- Jamis

I added a dir_config to the extconf.rb file to install.

"D:/SQLite" <your path here> contains two sub-directories (include & lib)
which mkmf.rb uses to create the Makefile. Without this, sqlite.h and
sqlite.lib are sought in the <?>standard search path</?>.

#-----------------------
require 'mkmf'

dir_config("sqlite", "D:/SQLite") # <--- ADDED line

have_library( "sqlite" )
if have_header( "sqlite.h" ) and have_library( "sqlite", "sqlite_open" )
create_makefile( "_sqlite" )
end

dir_config allows command line parameters of (e.g.) ...
--with-sqlite-lib=usr/local/env/dev/nul/blah
(That's one Windows user's idea of a non-Windows pathname)

daz