I suspect syntax got me this time

Venkat Akkineni

Hi

I have created a class with a class method. I am trying to call it
from a different class and I get the "uninitialized constant" error.
Could some body help me out.
Class with class method

# To change this template, choose Tools | Templates
# and open the template in the editor.

require "log4r/logger"

class XELogger < Log4r::Logger

def XELogger.get(fullname)
begin
return self.superclass.get(fullname)
rescue NameError
return Log4r::Logger.new(fullname , nil , true , false)
end
end

end

Calling class

# To change this template, choose Tools | Templates
# and open the template in the editor.

#require "rubygems"
require "webrick"
require "log4r"
require "monitor"
#require "XELogger"
require "rexml/document"

class XmlEngine < WEBrick::HTTPServlet::FileHandler

include MonitorMixin

# this is a BigNum
@@serialVersionUID = 1

# @xmlParser
# @htmlParsers
@hasXmlTemplate
@stcRead
@formatHashtable
@replaceHashtable
# @strDriverDefault
# @strUrlDefault
# @strBaseLocation
# @strFormatFile
# @fileXmlEngineFormat
# @fileBaseLocation
# @sessionLanguage
# @strReplaceWhat
# @strReplaceWith
# @isResource = false

# @configXMLEngine

# These loggers (xmlEngine and reloadXml) should be instantated before
they can
# used.

@@log4rXmlEngine = XELogger.get['xmlEngine']
# @@log4rReloadXml = XELogger.get('reloadXml')

# Constructor
# ToDo: Assign this argument to the instance variable
"connectionProvider"
def initialize(connectionProvider)
init
end

# Will configure log4r from the xml configure file passed
# The file object can be just the name of the file if the
# file is in the same folder, if otherwise file object
# should be a complete path to file's location.
# ToDo: Needs Tesing.
def self.configureLog4r(file)
if file !=nil
Configurator.load_xml_file(file)
else
Configurator.load_xml_file(log4r.xml)
end
end

# Courtesy of:
http://rubynugs.blogspot.com/2006/12/creating-java-like-main-method-in-ruby.html

# do
# if __FILE__ == $0 && ARGV.length < 1
# @i
# configureLog4r(nil)
# @strFile
#
# puts "main"
#
# else if __FILE__ == $0 && ARGV.length > 1
#
#
# end
#
# end

# XmlEngineNP: classes for compatibilizing with the Reports version
def readReportConfiguration(strReportFile)

end

def readReportConfiguration(strReportFile, *discard)

end

# # Log4r::Logger's get method throws a NameError when it cannot find
the
# # specified log file. This method will help create a new log file
when
# # one doesn't exist. ToDo: Create a subclass of Logger class and
override
# # the Logger class's get method.
# def fetchLogger(_name)
# begin
# return @newLogFile = Log4r::Logger.get(_name)
# rescue NameError
# return @newLogFile = Log4r::Logger.new(_name , nil , true ,
false)
# end
# end

end

7

7stud --

Venkat said:
Hi

I have created a class with a class method. I am trying to call it
from a different class and I get the "uninitialized constant" error.
Could some body help me out.

I don't know what all that code does--it's a mess. Here is a simple
example:

class A
def A.get
"hi"
end
end

class B
def test
puts A.get
end
end

b = B.new
b.test

--output:--
hi

David A. Black

Hi --

[...]

All of those instance variables are uninitialized. You just wrote
this:

nil
nil
nil
nil

So the first step would be to delete all of them.
[...]

Again, you're just stating values (nil or otherwise). If you're not
assigning to a variable or doing something with its value, there is
never any reason to type it.

I think you've got some ideas about declaring variables that perhaps
come from your work in another language but that are not relevant to
Ruby. The best thing would probably be to get hold of some learning
materials and find out what instance variables actually are, and how
they're used. That will give you a foothold as you work further on
your code.

David

Now available: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning.com/black2)
Training! Intro to Ruby, with Black & Kastner, September 14-17
(More info: http://rubyurl.com/vmzN)