Icon Editors

DanN

| Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
| change the default icon in an EXE file.

For Windows, you might look at Iconforge - www.cursorarts.com and
Microangelo - www.impactsoft.com I've used them to change exe icons.
Note that some exe's object to having their icons changed, so you
should always keep a backup of the exe file just in case. Not sure I
understand what you want to do with an .exe icon in html, though???

(don't live at a com or net - address listed is altered)

mcp6453

DanN said:
| Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
| change the default icon in an EXE file.

For Windows, you might look at Iconforge - www.cursorarts.com and
Microangelo - www.impactsoft.com I've used them to change exe icons.
Note that some exe's object to having their icons changed, so you
should always keep a backup of the exe file just in case. Not sure I
understand what you want to do with an .exe icon in html, though???

Thanks for that info. I don't want to do anything with an exe icon in
HTML. I posted in this group because I could not think of another group
that would have people as knowledgeable as this one with regard to the
subject matter.

Richard

Thanks for that info. I don't want to do anything with an exe icon in
HTML. I posted in this group because I could not think of another group
that would have people as knowledgeable as this one with regard to the
subject matter.

try 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Nothing is off topic and is one of the most active newsgroups in usenet.
Where you got 1 reply here, you'd get 10 there.

Stephen T. Fox

mcp6453 said:
Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
change the default icon in an EXE file. Any recommendations? How about
http://www.aha-soft.com/iconxp/index.htm?

I finally settled on Axialis Icon Workshop (Personal Edition)
http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/index.html It allows a shareware
download to try and costs $35 to keep. I tried several from Google. Most
were too simple and Microangelo was too expensive and had many more features
than I would ever use. It's great if you're going to go into the icon
business.

Good luck.

stephen

David Segall

mcp6453 said:
Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
change the default icon in an EXE file. Any recommendations? How about
http://www.aha-soft.com/iconxp/index.htm?
Have a look at Icon Edit Pro (http://www.iconedit.com/) It's shareware
so you can try it and the registered version is only $US20.00. I like
it because it has a few tools to help the "graphically challenged"
like me make toolbar icons from other images. I don't think that it
allows you to change the _default_ icon in an .exe file but I didn't
see an explicit claim that IconXP allowed you to do this either.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle mcp6453 scribbled in the mud:
I am able to see the icon(s) in an EXE with Irfanview, but how do I
put one back into the file?

Supper glue. ;)

Blinky the Shark

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle mcp6453 scribbled in the mud:
Supper glue. ;)

Supper Glue. It sticks to your ribs! :)

If Irfan can't replace an exe icon (and I'm not convinced it can), one
could still extract it, edit it, and simply save it as an external icon,
then use it for the program. I, from my Win days, don't remember exes
being locked into their internal icons. I could be wrong. It's
happened.

Toby A Inkster

mcp6453 said:
I am able to see the icon(s) in an EXE with Irfanview, but how do I put
one back into the file?

There are these things called "Resource Editors" out there that allow you
to open up an EXE file and overwrite various bitmaps and even strings
within them. (Always keep a backup though!)