    light. Are there any other pedagogical examples?

    Also, are there any websites comparing OOP approaches with other approaches
    (e.g. functional)?

    Jon Harrop, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Isn't this OT for this group? Here are my thoughts anyway though.

    Depends on the context you're using them in. When teaching OOA&D in
    the nineties I would always use the problem domain of the people I was
    teaching. Harder work for the teacher, but more likely that they'll
    find the examples useful and relevant.

    I've written a couple of different ray tracers, one in Smalltalk and
    one in C++. They are good, but there are a lot of distracting details
    (3D maths, co-ordinate systems, physics etc.) that you'll also have to
    teach. They're not really suitable for short courses because of this.

    I found simple computer games to be better examples. I often used
    Missile Command or other games of similar vintage.

    The business examples often used to try to appear more relevant tend
    to be so hopelessly naive as to be useless for teaching to anybody who
    actually knows anything about business systems.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Kirit_S=E6lensminde?=, Feb 4, 2007