IE6 display puzzle

Dave Plant

After recently re-designing my site, I'm stuck on a few display problems
with IE6 and below.

The first paragraph on the index page has a "drop cap", which is a CSS
span applied to the first letter. There is also an image floated right
in the same paragraph.

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/index.htm

Neither the drop cap nor the image display in IE6 or below. All I get is
spaces where they should appear. There is no problem with IE7, Firefox,
etc.

What really puzzles me is that I've used the same method on other pages
on the site (drop cap and right-floated image in the same paragraph),
but these appear as expected in IE6, e.g.

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/montrose.htm

Can anyone tell me why this isn't working on the index page?

BootNic

On Wed, 20 May 2009 01:14:02 +0100
After recently re-designing my site, I'm stuck on a few display
problems with IE6 and below.

Good news. IE6/7 life cycle will end on 13/July/2010. Older versions of
IE are already done.
The first paragraph on the index page has a "drop cap", which is
a CSS span applied to the first letter. There is also an image
floated right in the same paragraph.

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/index.htm

Neither the drop cap nor the image display in IE6 or below.
All I get is spaces where they should appear. There is no problem
with IE7, Firefox, etc.

What really puzzles me is that I've used the same method on
other pages on the site (drop cap and right-floated image in the
same paragraph), but these appear as expected in IE6, e.g.

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/montrose.htm

Can anyone tell me why this isn't working on the index page?

Perhaps it's some sort of bug. (IE6 Peekaboo Bug perhaps)

..picright,
..priceleft,
..dropcap {
position:relative;
}

The above css may just get IE 6 to behave for a while.

--
BootNic Thu May 21, 2009 12:00 pm
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs,

Jonathan N. Little

BootNic said:
On Wed, 20 May 2009 01:14:02 +0100

Good news. IE6/7 life cycle will end on 13/July/2010. Older versions of
IE are already done.

Unfortunately, there are still a significant number of <WinXP machines
in the wild and also XP users still using the *original* install version
of their IE :-(

I don't believe see you will see that much change in one year.

BootNic

On Thu, 21 May 2009 12:15:41 -0400
[snip]
Good news. IE6/7 life cycle will end on 13/July/2010. Older
versions of IE are already done.

Unfortunately, there are still a significant number of <WinXP
machines in the wild and also XP users still using the *original*
install version of their IE :-(

XP life cycle is also coming to an end. For XP SP2 has the same date,
and I do not believe SP3 extends that date.
I don't believe see you will see that much change in one year.

I think there will a slow decline in the use of xp, IE 6/7 over the
next year.

At any rate, after 13-jul-2010 I do not believe that it will be
profitable to support IE 6/7.

--
BootNic Thu May 21, 2009 01:36 pm
Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you

Dave Plant

Perhaps it's some sort of bug. (IE6 Peekaboo Bug perhaps)

.picright,
.priceleft,
.dropcap {
position:relative;
}

The above css may just get IE 6 to behave for a while.

position:relative worked, and solved one or two other IE6 display
problems I was having. Thanks for your help.

Jonathan N. Little

BootNic said:
I think there will a slow decline in the use of xp, IE 6/7 over the
next year.

At any rate, after 13-jul-2010 I do not believe that it will be
profitable to support IE 6/7.

Who said anything about support? There is still a significant number of
98 & 2000 machines still in the wild to date.

dorayme

Ed Mullen <[email protected]> said:
Consider digital TV in the USA. At some point you just have to say:
"Ok! It's over! You're obsolete!"

Crikey! We are backwards here, we are just about to ditch analog TV.
What are you guys into now, hologramic TV, you all gather around it in a
circle like at a real football match except a smaller circle. Unreal!
I'm coming to Aaaaaaaameeeericaaaa!

+mrcakey

Thing is, anyone with an "interesting" copy of XP is not able to upgrade
from IE6. What would be nice is if, once the support period has ended, M$
admitted defeat and made the internet a better place by disabling IE6 - or
at least turning it into a nagathon - and forcing download of IE8 on anyone
left over regardless of the legitimacy of the copy of Windoze on which it
resides. Alternatively they could go all guerilla on they asses and roll it
back to an even more insecure/non-compliant version!