IIS sends login dialog for already authenticated users.

Sandy

Hi,
I am using ASP.NET windows authentication in one of the applications. My
application is deployed on one of the 2003 servers. This server is member of
a domain say "MyDomain".
Now, when a user who is logged on to a system which dos not belongs to
"MyDomain", tries to access this site, he gets a login dialog box which is
correct. However, if the user is logged on to a system that belongs to
"MyDomain", he should not get this dialog box. but in my case, he also gets
this box.

The same code works well in windows 2000.

Please suggest.

Sandy

I checked this Ken.
This is not the case. IE is configured correctly.
The issues seems to happen only on windows 2003 servers with win XP clients.

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

Have the Servers been "hardened" or had some security scripts run over them
to lock them down in any way?

Sandy

Yes. Some scripts does run but not sure what exactly they are. Its a
production server.

Sandy

Paul, Thanks a lot.

Are you saying that in your case, clients were windows 2000 and Server was
windows 2003?

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

Yes. Not all clients were Win2000, but only these ones had the problems. Our
server group had performed "hardening" on the servers, and configured that
specific setting to only accept the highest levels of encryption and
authentication. The new XP builds that had also been performed had a similar
hardening process and were configured appropriately. The older builds of
Windows2000 were not configured to support the extra security settings and
were failing. Once I set the Windows2003 servers back to the default
settings (as listed on that article link I posted) it all worked fine.

--

- Paul Glavich
ASP.NET MVP