Importing java class in jsp

CAESAR

Hi..

I am trying to import a java class in a jsp file but getting the
following error:

Unable to compile class for JSP:

both the jsp and the java file are in the root folder.

Can someone tell me the reason for the above problem.

Roedy Green

both the jsp and the java file are in the root folder.

you import class files, not source.

If you are using tomcat, the class file should be in something like:

X:\Program
Files\apache-tomcat-6.0.20\webapps\WEB-INF\classes\com\mycompany\myproject\ZZZZ.class
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

~ Frank Zappa (born: 1940-12-21 died: 1993-12-04 at age: 52)

Lew

CAESAR wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
What do you mean by the "root folder"?

Roedy said:
you import class files, not source.

Actually, you import classes, which are stored in "*.class" files
somewhere in the class path.
If you are using tomcat [sic], the class file should be in something like:

X:\Program
Files\apache-tomcat-6.0.20\webapps\WEB-INF\classes\com\mycompany\myproject\ZZZZ.class

The import statement would not have the ".class" part of the name in
it, nor any slashes. It would import the class via its fully-
qualified name (FQN), such as

<%@ page language="java"
imports="com.mycompany.myproject.ZZZZ,java.util.*" %>

Better yet, don't use JSP imports; just refer to classes by their
FQNs.

Even better yet, don't use Java scriptlet in JSP pages at all - just
use JSTL, EL and custom tags and a framework like JSF (preferred) or
Struts.

<http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Servlet-Tutorial/>

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
CAESAR wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

What do you mean by the "root folder"?

Actually, you import classes, which are stored in "*.class" files
somewhere in the class path.

I would use the phrase "import class names" instead of "import classes".

Arne