"in house" pypi?

Miki Tebeka

Greetings,

My company want to distribute Python packages internally. We would like something like an internal PyPi where people can upload and easy_install from packages.

Is there such a ready made solution?
I'd like something as simple as possible, without my install headache.

Thanks,

Martin v. Loewis

Am 24.03.2011 04:19, schrieb Miki Tebeka:
Greetings,

My company want to distribute Python packages internally. We would like something like an internal PyPi where people can upload and easy_install from packages.

Is there such a ready made solution?
I'd like something as simple as possible, without my install headache.

The easiest solution is to use a plain file system. Make a directory per
project, and put all distributions of the project into the directory.
Then have Apache serve the parent directory, with DirectoryIndex turned
on.

Regards,
Martin

John Nagle

Greetings,

My company want to distribute Python packages internally. We would
like something like an internal PyPi where people can upload and
easy_install from packages.

Is there such a ready made solution? I'd like something as simple as
possible, without my install headache.

Thanks, -- Miki

PyPi isn't a code repository, like CPAN or SourceForge.
It's mostly a collection of links.

Take a look at CPAN, Perl's package repository. That's
well organized and useful. Modules are stored in a common archive
after an approval process, and can be downloaded and installed
in a standard way.

"easy_install" generally isn't easy. It has some built-in
assumptions about where things are stored, assumptions which
often don't hold true.

John Nagle

Colin J. Williams

PyPi isn't a code repository, like CPAN or SourceForge.
It's mostly a collection of links.

Take a look at CPAN, Perl's package repository. That's
well organized and useful. Modules are stored in a common archive
after an approval process, and can be downloaded and installed
in a standard way.

"easy_install" generally isn't easy. It has some built-in
assumptions about where things are stored, assumptions which
often don't hold true.

John Nagle

I've not found problems with "easy_install" using Windows.

Colin W.