Looking for PyPi 2.0...

Nathan Rice

As a user:
* Finding the right module in PyPi is a pain because there is limited,
low quality semantic information, and there is no code indexing.
* I have to install the module to examine it; I don't need to look at
docs all the time, sometimes I just want a
package/class/function/method breakdown.
* Given the previous point, having in-line documentation would be nice
(for instance, just the output of .. automodule::)
* Package usage/modification stats are not well exposed
* No code metrics are available
* I would like some kind of social service integration, for tagging
and +1/likes. I know ratings were scrapped (and they weren't that
useful anyhow), but for example, if Armin Ronacher or Robert Kern
thumbs up a module there is a pretty good chance I will be interested
in it.

As a developer:
* I don't want to have to maintain my code repository and my package
releases separately. I want to let module repository know that my
code repository exists, and that branches tagged as "release" should
be made available.
* I want to maintain one README.

I don't like "someone needs to do this now" type posts but every time
I use PyPi it infuratiates me. I usually end up finding modules via
Stack Overflow, which seems silly to me.

Nathan