include DB connection string?

rc

Hello,

We have several asp.net pages (.aspx) that access SQL server. Currently, we
use a connection string like this:

Conn=New SqlConnection("Server=servername;uid=id;pwd=password;database=db")

Is there a way to have the connection string (the part in quotes) included
from another file?

The reason I ask is, in the future, we will move the SQL data to another
machine and thus, a different connect string will be needed. It would be
nice to only change one file instead of every page that needs the
connection.

I know include files are commonly used all the time, but I'm not familiar
with how to only include one line at this location.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you

Shiva

How about storing the connection string in the web.config file? And access
it when required?

Hello,

We have several asp.net pages (.aspx) that access SQL server. Currently, we
use a connection string like this:

Conn=New SqlConnection("Server=servername;uid=id;pwd=password;database=db")

Is there a way to have the connection string (the part in quotes) included
from another file?

The reason I ask is, in the future, we will move the SQL data to another
machine and thus, a different connect string will be needed. It would be
nice to only change one file instead of every page that needs the
connection.

I know include files are commonly used all the time, but I'm not familiar
with how to only include one line at this location.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you

David Wier

Exactly - - like this:
<appSettings>
<add key="MyDBConnection"
value="server=YourServer;uid=Username;pwd=Password;database=DBName" />
</appSettings>
Then:
Dim myConnection As SqlConnection = New
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("MyDBConnection"))

David Wier
MCP, MVP ASP.NET, ASPInsider
http://aspnet101.com
http://aspexpress.com