    What's does everyone else think?

    Thanks,
    Nicko.

    e n | c k m a, Dec 7, 2003

  2. e n | c k m a

    Spartanicus Guest

    This is a known issue with friend v1.21 or earlier, upgrade to friend
    v1.4+.

    Spartanicus, Dec 7, 2003

  3. e n | c k m a

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    It depends on the frequency the CSS-code is applied:
    For more pages: external
    Only for one page: internal
    A small adjustment somewhere on a page: inline
    By doing this you keep your coding clean and readable.
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Try telling him that it's the 2000's now and everybody should use the
    modern XCSS (eXternal CSS) technology.

    Or try saying "I heard that a large company will buy our site if we
    change its visual appearance so that the user can select between three
    'skins'. How can we do that?" (It's a bit cheating, since style sheet
    switching works poorly at present. But it has no chance of working when
    embedded styles are used. Well, not quite, but let's not be excessively
    honest.)
    If you have no better arguments, maybe you could agree on his using
    inline styles once in a while.
    It's not really a lookup. The browser will read the external style
    sheet(s) and use it (or them). When the same style sheet is used, via
    <link>, on several pages of a site, the browser will most probably
    use the copy it has already got. If the style sheet is large, this has
    a positive impact on efficiency as compared with reading it over and
    over again as part of HTML documents.

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 7, 2003
  5. If a style is only being used on the one page, it is more efficient to put
    it in a a <style /> element or in @style.

    If a style is being used on multiple pages, it is more efficient to put it
    in an external style sheet.

    Of course, it is most elegant to put everything in an external style sheet.

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 7, 2003
  6. e n | c k m a

    brucie Guest

    i think your friend is new to CSS and has limited knowledge of HTML. he
    probably uses a WYSINWYG. he is more conformable using CSS inline
    because thats how it was done with HTML. hes just coming up with what he
    considers plausible reasons to justify his use of inline CSS. give him a
    few months and he'll quietly change to external CSS as he becomes more
    comfortable with it.

    brucie, Dec 7, 2003
  7. I tried explaining that it's less code and cleaner HTML if we use
    Yeah and I have once or twice already but it for what he wanted to do, it
    would've made more sense to use a class.

    e n | c k m a, Dec 7, 2003
  8. i think your friend is new to CSS and has limited knowledge of HTML. he
    I think you're right - we had a heated discussion before also about using
    JavaScript for a functional part of the site. I wouldn't let him and he got
    frustrated. He said he was annoyed because *he* knew *he* could fix the
    problem we were having with a simple JavaScript. I told him that's true but
    if it's not going to work on everyone's browser, then what's the point in
    having it?

    He then tried to show me that almost every site uses JavaScript these days
    and therefore, everyone has JavaScript enabled. He started browsing around
    with JavaScript disabled to "prove" his point. I told him that every site
    he'd been to (including Hotmail) proved MY point even more - that it's bad
    design to rely on JavaScript for site functionality/stability. It was very
    aggrovating because he still didn't quite understand.

    He's a very argumentative fellow. Shame.

    e n | c k m a, Dec 7, 2003
  9. What's that? I'm familiar with
    WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get
    and
    WYSINWOG = What You See Is Not What Others Get,
    and they denote the same thing, but whats WYSINWYG?

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 7, 2003
  10. e n | c k m a

    kayodeok Guest

    Google says Brucie has been using this Acronym
    for at least 2 years:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=WYSINWYG&as_uauthors=brucie&num=100

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=WYSINWYG
    http://www.google.com/search?q=WYSINWYG
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=WYSINWYG

    kayodeok, Dec 7, 2003
  11. Whilst not presuming to speak for brucie, I have been using the term for
    some time - since the first attempts at a WYSIWYG word processor.

    It's use is similar to your WYSINWOG (which is fairly new to me)

    WYSINWIG - What you see is not[1] what you get.

    [1] or 'nearly' in some circumstances.

    William Tasso, Dec 7, 2003
  12. Odd way of abbreviating the second "you".

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 7, 2003
  13. WYSINWIG - What you see is not[1] what you get.
    Okay, so - "What you see is not what I get"

    I like it.

    e n | c k m a, Dec 7, 2003
  14. e n | c k m a

    brucie Guest

    i don't know :-(

    i just type what the little voices tell me to. they get mad if i don't.
    they make me do things.

    brucie, Dec 7, 2003
  15. Odd indeed. I can offer no justifiable reason for this behaviour - my only
    (feeble) excuse is that neither variation has an entry in my spell-checker.
    I have now completed the investigation, the offending finger has been tried
    and convicted. In the absence of a pardon being granted, the offending
    finger will be taken to a place of execution at dawn where there will be a
    small ceremony followed by an informal wake with tea and biscuits as well as
    the obligatory finger buffet.

    ps: I should like to take this opportunity to thank e n | c k m a and the
    rest of the team for their valiant, but ulimately, unsuccessful defence.

    William Tasso, Dec 8, 2003