Inspiring websites

I love coming across a well-designed web page. One that hits that sweet spot
between functionality and pizzazz.

They are an endless source of inspiration and -- well, envy too.

What are your favourites, or ones that you hold up as a touchstone?

I'm not talking subject material, I'm talking ones that strike you as
impressive from a design aspect, regardless of the subject.

And tell us why you like it.

You first.

What, are we like eight years old daring each other who's gonna jump into
the cold lake first? Sheesh. . .

I posted some of mine when I last visited here about six or seven months
ago.

http://www.5thwallstudio.com/ Uses a flash intro but it's not necessary to
wait for it. The flash animation though is nicely reflected in the photo
within the site providing for a continuation of theme. I also like the door
analogy and the simple art deco theme.

http://www.inspireddevices.com/ for the simplicity of the design which still
makes good use of graphics for a "desktop newsletter" look.

Both of these were designed by Krucible Solutions of Victoria. I like their
work and, no, I don't know them or have any connection to them. They came to
my attention when they designed a web site for a friend.

I found this site
http://www.moderndaybillboard.com/index.html and have been working my way
through them. Some very impressive ones here -- lots of imagination of the
sort I wish I had.

I like some of the sites at CSSZenGarden. The designers here have a strong
sense of colour and play that I envy:
http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/178/178.css&page=2
http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/177/177.css&page=3

And check out the clever trick with the diver here:
http://csszengarden.com/?cssfile=http://www.css-praxis.de/cssocean/zenocean.css
(Scroll down to the ocean bottom. . . Won't work in IE)

And, finally, for another perspective, there's this site:
http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp

I don't know this group, but the sites that have won awards as determined by
this website suck hugely. Every one of them are fully Flash-powered. I'm on
high speed and I gave up on most of them because I couldn't be bothered
waiting.

Chaddy2222

Beauregard said:
..and the rest aren't any better. <g>
Yeah, I could not agree more, mind you I did not bother looking at
most of them.
The DTP looking one I thaught was a pile of shit. Considering the
subject matter, the site did not even have a proper title tag, and
overall as any person with a clue knows, DTP layouts do not work on
the web, go to the site http://www.inspireddevices.com and wack the
font size up a few times. It will break quite easily.
The verdonna (or however the hell you spell it) font really is quite
bloody un-readable at larger font sizes.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Perhaps I'm easily awed but I found the "El Pais Muva - museo virtual de
artes" (http://muva.elpais.com.uy/) both beautiful and impressive in its
options and ease of use.

On first glance, I thought it was nice to have the choice of HTML
or multimedia versions (a sensible use of an intro page). However,
when I clicked on it, nothing happened.

The multimedia version did go to the real page, but I don't
continue with all flash pages; I have yet to see one that is
more than minimally legible.

Adrienne Boswell

What, are we like eight years old daring each other who's gonna jump
into the cold lake first? Sheesh. . .

I posted some of mine when I last visited here about six or seven
months ago.

No, we're not like eight years old, we're like fifty. I've seen too many
posts similar to this that are basically just trolling. Hence, the
request.

I can't seriously remember a good site I've seen lately. I do a lot of
surfing, looking for interesting sites to include in our directory.

I see a lot of sites that look nice visually, but have no substance. I
see a lot of sites with a lot of content with tiny text (yes I know I can
resize). I came across a site the other day that even tried to give me a
virus (probably a graphic, since plain text wouldn't do it).

With that said, there are two sites I like that come to mind:

1. moRondeSign - http://www.morondesign.com
2. Joe Cartoon - http://www.joecartoon.com

I like these sites because they always give me a laugh.

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne said:
With that said, there are two sites I like that come to mind:

1. moRondeSign - http://www.morondesign.com

What the ****! I checked out both sites and since I am stuck on dialup
here I opened each in a tab and while loading went to get another cup of
coffee and came back to very loud "rock" music!!! This one seems to be
the offender and a prime example of why you *do not* put music on your
site. Damn thankful that I did not check it out late last night at
midnight, else that would cost me at least a dozen roses and box of fine
chocolates to get out of the doghouse.

Jonathan N. Little

Chris said:
On first glance, I thought it was nice to have the choice of HTML
or multimedia versions (a sensible use of an intro page). However,
when I clicked on it, nothing happened.

That's because it opens in a pop-up and you probably have a pop-up
blocker on. There is strike on for the site. Then the site relies on
frames, strike two! And is one large image map, strike three! Dang and I
thought Myst was a bore, put it online with dialup and I really don't
care about the exhibits and I am an artist!

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
What the ****! I checked out both sites and since I am stuck on dialup
here I opened each in a tab and while loading went to get another cup
of coffee and came back to very loud "rock" music!!! This one seems to
be the offender and a prime example of why you *do not* put music on
your site. Damn thankful that I did not check it out late last night
at midnight, else that would cost me at least a dozen roses and box of
fine chocolates to get out of the doghouse.

1. That's what you get for having a computer in your dog house. They
don't really get much out of it and their claws are rough on the keys.

2. Based on most of their posts they're all Google Gropers.

3. Okay, some of them do email each other with mutt.

4. If they *must* be connected, introduce them to FidoNet.

5. Emphasis should be placed on #1, above; it's not like they're paying
for their own hardware.

Travis Newbury

And, finally, for another perspective, there's this site:http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp
I don't know this group, but the sites that have won awards as determined by
this website suck hugely. Every one of them are fully Flash-powered. I'm on
high speed and I gave up on most of them because I couldn't be bothered
waiting.

First, go to your provider and complain about your high speed
connection it's broke. Everything on this site came right up.

Second, While you and others may all think these sites suck, I tend to
enjoy many of them. (I especially liked this one: http://www.themartist.com)
I also like my meat cooked medium rare while others like it well
done. So it seems that website preferences, like meat, is it a matter
of personal preference.

My point is that while you may not like sites like these obviously
someone does or they would not exist in the numbers they do. As the
web continues to evolve, I believe you will be seeing even more
integration between multimedia and the web. Some will hate it, some
will love it. .

ymmv

Travis Newbury

Perhaps I'm easily awed but I found the "El Pais Muva - museo virtual de
artes" (http://muva.elpais.com.uy/) both beautiful and impressive in its
options and ease of use.
But that's just me.

While it is nice, I was not as impressed as you. I believe that it
cold have been moreeffective if done with Flash.

Travis Newbury

While it is nice, I was not as impressed as you. I believe that it
cold have been moreeffective if done with Flash.

Ok, bad morning for the fingers and brain, I meant to say it could
have been done more effectively than is was done in Flash.

El Kabong

Ok, bad morning for the fingers and brain, I meant to say it could
have been done more effectively than is was done in Flash.
After a second look, I agree... somewhat. I think the atmosphere of the site
was what I liked at first glance.

But then, I like art sites that let me view the works without a lot of
analysis.

Here's another: http://bradtuckman.com/

or this camera ad: http://stunningnikon.com/d80/

Flash with a purpose.

El

El Kabong

Don't know how I forgot it but here's a great one, ideally suited for its
content, great use of Web tech, site map, ( didn't see any drop down menus
yet):

http://nymag.com/

Would you expect less from them?

El