Installation on Mac OSX 10.6.8 doesn't create the folder: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framewor

kramer65

Hello people,

I installed python 2.7 on Mac OSX 10.6.8 with no problems and it is working fine. When I try to install Kivy however (www.kivy.org), I get an error saying:

/usr/local/bin/kivy: line 24: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2.7: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/kivy: line 24: exec: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2.7: cannot execute: No such file or directory

Upon inspection the there are folders named 2.3, 2.5 and 2.6 in the Versions folder, but indeed no folder named "2.7". When I log into the interactive python command line however, it clearly says I've got python 2.7.3 installed.

Does anybody know what the problem might be here?

Kind regards,
kramer

Ned Deily

Jason Swails said:
How did you install Python 2.7? How did you install Kivy? Note that Kivy
states 10.7 or 10.8 is required.
/> /usr/local/bin/kivy: line 24:

/System/Library/Frameworks is the location for Apple-supplied system
Pythons. OS X 10.6 ships with complete versions of Python 2.6 and 2.5
(and the shared libs for 2.3). So you won't find a 2.7 folder there in
10.6.8. In OS X 10.7 and 10.8, Apple ships 2.7, 2.6, and 2.5.

If you used one of the python.org installers to install 2.7, it will be
installed into /Library/Frameworks and, by default, symlinks will be
installed in /usr/local/bin for python, python2.7, etc. Since
/usr/local/bin/kivy appears to be a script of some sort, examine it and
see exactly what command is on line 24. The solution might be as simple
as editing a line there to remove the "/System" part.
Another option is to grok the MacPorts Portfile for Python 2.7 to figure
out how they compile it using the Mac Framework and emulate that process
when you build Python 2.7 from source (but don't install to /opt/local).

I'm not sure what you are proposing there. But you should never attempt
to install anything into /System/Library: that's part of OS X and
controlled by Apple.