Installing Mutagen Package On Windows

Benjamin Serrato

Hey, I've run into another problem. I am trying to install the Mutagen
package to use as my first useful program, but can't figure out how to
install it on windows. The README says it is a simple application of--

Installing
----------
$ ./setup.py build
$ su -c "./setup.py install"

--but I ran c:\>python c:\python25\tools\scripts\setup.py build and did
similarly for setup.py. I also added c:\python25 and
c:\python25\tools\scripts to my path, but this hasn't worked. I have
heard of 'easy_install' but don't know how to run easy_install. So, I
ask for a reference because Google did not give me a quick answer and
the python.org explanation at PEP 250 doesn't really explain what I
should do.

Diez B. Roggisch

Benjamin said:
Hey, I've run into another problem. I am trying to install the Mutagen
package to use as my first useful program, but can't figure out how to
install it on windows. The README says it is a simple application of--

Installing
----------
$ ./setup.py build
$ su -c "./setup.py install"

--but I ran c:\>python c:\python25\tools\scripts\setup.py build and did
similarly for setup.py. I also added c:\python25 and
c:\python25\tools\scripts to my path, but this hasn't worked. I have
heard of 'easy_install' but don't know how to run easy_install. So, I
ask for a reference because Google did not give me a quick answer and
the python.org explanation at PEP 250 doesn't really explain what I
should do.

You need to call

python2.5 setup.py install

and google for setuptools, python, easy_install to find out all about it
you need.

Diez

Gabriel Genellina

En Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:25:02 -0300, Benjamin Serrato
Hey, I've run into another problem. I am trying to install the Mutagen
package to use as my first useful program, but can't figure out how to
install it on windows. The README says it is a simple application of--

Installing
----------
$ ./setup.py build
$ su -c "./setup.py install"

--but I ran c:\>python c:\python25\tools\scripts\setup.py build and did
similarly for setup.py. I also added c:\python25 and
c:\python25\tools\scripts to my path, but this hasn't worked. I have

The setup.by you have to run is the one included in the Mutagen package,
not that one.
Unless the author provides more specific instructions, the usual way is:

- Unpack the archive into any temporary directory
- Open a console (cmd) and change to that temporary directory (cd
c:\some\temp\dir)
- Execute this command:
python setup.py install
- That's all

If you get any error, post the whole error message here, but for specific
help on the package it would be better to contact the author directly.