Installing NumPy and SciPy in Python 2.6

Vicent Giner

Sorry if my question was already asked and answered, but I can't
manage with this...

I've installed Python 2.6 in my Windows XP. Actually, I've installed
ActiveState's ActivePython 2.6.

I would like to use NumPy and SciPy.

Are those packages compatible with version 2.6 of Python?

Are they already installed in ActivePython 2.6? If not, how can
install them?

I downloaded the Windows installers for NumPy and SciPy, but as they
are prepared for Python 2.5, I can't make the installers run properly.

Any piece of help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

David Cournapeau

I believe there is more work to do on Scipy and Numpy before they will
run on 2.6. Expect Numpy to come first (or at the same time). 2.6 is
quite new, so a number of packages may tak a while to get there. I
think Numpy, in particular, is changing to a new memory buffer protocol,
and may take a while.

AFAIK, numpy on 2.6 will not change to a new API in that regard.

But note that python 2.6 does not bring much for scientific
computation, so I think that if you canm you should stick to 2.5
before a release with official 2.6 support is available.

We indeed hope to get a 2.6 compatible release of numpy within the end
of the year (scipy should follow quite quickly).

David