Installing Ruby and Rails on Ubuntu

Mark

------=_Part_21267_3976.1135393448902

I've been following the instructions at:

http://claudio.cicali.org/article/74/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-on-ubuntu=
-510

but unfortunately it fails during step 5.

When I attempt to run:

ruby extconf.rb

I get an error indicating it can't find the mkmf

extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
from extconf.rb:1

Any thoughts?

------=_Part_21267_3976.1135393448902--

Marcel Molina Jr.

I've been following the instructions at:

http://claudio.cicali.org/article/74/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-on-ubuntu-510

but unfortunately it fails during step 5.

When I attempt to run:

ruby extconf.rb

I get an error indicating it can't find the mkmf

extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
from extconf.rb:1

Any thoughts?

You will get the best and most timely Rails support on the Rails list:

Debian splits up Ruby's standard library into some 34 packages which are not
installed by default. You need the mkmf library. Probably something like
libmkmf-ruby1.8.

You can get pointers on how to install all of Ruby from here:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnUbuntuDebianTestingAndUnstable

marcel

Mark

------=_Part_23665_13139283.1135438286530

Thank you! I asked here, rather than rails, because I hadn't even really
gotten to the rails step yet.

I had totally forgotten about the Debian ruby issues and also the fact that
Ubuntu is a Debian derivative.

You will get the best and most timely Rails support on the Rails list:

Debian splits up Ruby's standard library into some 34 packages which are
not
installed by default. You need the mkmf library. Probably something like
libmkmf-ruby1.8.

You can get pointers on how to install all of Ruby from here:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnUbuntuDebianTestingAndUnst= able

marcel

------=_Part_23665_13139283.1135438286530--

Mark

------=_Part_25069_25897467.1135460376189

I've gotten a lot farther with the instructions at this URL

http://fo64.com/articles/2005/10/20/rails-on-breezy

Everything seems to be installed, but apparantly Apache isn't wired up righ=
because it is browsing directories and trying to load the URL for the
controller returns a 404.

Note, I've been succesful with Rails on Windows I'm just forcing myself to
learn Linux.