Installing the openssl exntsion for ruby

Muk Yan

Hi,

Ruby-newbie here. I've exhausted google and I've yet to find a solution
to this problem. I might be just reading the solutions wrong, but when
I try to install the openssl extension for ruby (in order to use the
Amazon Web Service AMI Tools) with the commands:

#cd <ruby source folder>/ext/openssl
#ruby extconf.rb

I get the following error messages:

=== OpenSSL for Ruby configurator ===
=== Checking for system dependent stuff... ===
checking for t_open() in -lnsl... no
checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
checking for assert.h... yes
=== Checking for required stuff... ===
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
=== Checking for required stuff failed. ===
Makefile wasn't created. Fix the errors above.

I'm doing this on a Suse 10.2 Linux system with Ruby 1.8.6-p111 and
openssl 0.9.8g installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Bloom

[...]

You need to install the openssl-devel rpm which contains the header files
needed to build new software with openssl.

--Ken