Instr function problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by .Net Sports, Oct 22, 2009.

  1. .Net Sports

    .Net Sports Guest

    If a filename of a file I upload has a space in it, i want to take the
    space out and rename the file on the fly without the space in the
    name. I'm using the instr function to see if there is a space in the
    name. I can explicitly assign oldFileName and newFileName a value and
    it works, but trying to fill the variables with a dynamic filename
    doesnt do anything to the file in the code below, the filename still
    has a space in it:
    '''''''''''''''''''
    filenm = request("filenm")
    dim oldFileName,newFileName,space
    space = instr(filenm," ")

    if space > 0 then
    oldFileName = filenm
    newFileName = replace(filenm," ","")
    Sub reNameFile()
    Dim fso
    fso.MoveFile server.mappath(oldFileName), server.mappath
    (newFileName)
    Set fso = Nothing
    filenm = newFileName
    End Sub
    call reNameFile
    end if

    response.write filenm & "<br><br>"
    end if

    ??????
    NS

    .Net Sports, Oct 22, 2009

  2. .Net Sports

    Dan Guest

    You can't put a Sub inside an If .. End If block. Also "space" is a function
    name, so you can't use it as a variable name. And you appear to have too
    many "end if" statements. And what happens if any of the folders the file is
    in have spaces (eg. /my files/filename.jpg)? I'm assuming you won't have
    this in your configuration, but it's worth considering as if this can occur
    then you'll be potentially trying to put the file into a folder that doesn't
    exist.

    Sub reNameFile(oldFileName,newFileName)
    Dim fso
    fso.MoveFile server.mappath(oldFileName), server.mappath(newFileName)
    Set fso = Nothing
    End Sub

    dim filenm, spacepos, nfilenm

    filenm = request("filenm")