Integrated security in ASP.net

Nick

Hi - I'm developing an Intranet app with ASP.NET/VB.NET and want to use integrated security to access the pages. I don't need the users to log in to the pages once they've logged into their PCs, and there is no external public access to the pages.

If I turn off anonymous access, and turn on integrated security in IIS for the site, I just get a 'The page cannot be displayed' error in IE. The web.config has '<authentication mode="Windows" />' set in it, and the account I'm using to test the pages is an administrator. The whole VS.NET/IIS is running on my XP development PC.

(If I try basic authentication it does work after it pops up the logon box.)

What else do I have to configure for integrated security? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Ken Schaefer

Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should be a
HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.

Please tell us what the HTTP status code is.

Cheers
Ken

Hi - I'm developing an Intranet app with ASP.NET/VB.NET and want to use
integrated security to access the pages. I don't need the users to log in to
the pages once they've logged into their PCs, and there is no external
public access to the pages.

If I turn off anonymous access, and turn on integrated security in IIS for
the site, I just get a 'The page cannot be displayed' error in IE. The
web.config has '<authentication mode="Windows" />' set in it, and the
account I'm using to test the pages is an administrator. The whole
VS.NET/IIS is running on my XP development PC.

(If I try basic authentication it does work after it pops up the logon box.)

What else do I have to configure for integrated security? Any suggestions
gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick

I don't get a status code, but at the bottom of the page I get a 'Cannot
find server or DNS Error'. Turning on anonymous access (or basic
authenitcation) again removes the error.

Nick

Ken Schaefer

If you are getting that error, then either IE can not reach the server at
all, or the server is sending back no response.

If you use WFetch from here (or similar tool), does IIS send anything back?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ee-a71a-4c73-b628-ade629c89499&DisplayLang=en

Cheers
Ken

: I don't get a status code, but at the bottom of the page I get a 'Cannot
: find server or DNS Error'. Turning on anonymous access (or basic
: authenitcation) again removes the error.
:
: Nick
:
: : > Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should be a
: > HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.
: >
[...]

I've confirmed its a problem with integrated security on this particular PC.
The same site copied to my laptop works fine without anonymous access. Also,
other sites on the this PC with anonymous access switched on work fine -
while any site with integrated securtiy desn't work.

Is this a re-install of IIS and the .net Framework?

Nick

Ken Schaefer

What exactly do you mean "it's a problem with integrated security"? Until
you work out /where/ the communication between server and client is
breaking, reinstalling anything is just a gamble. For example, if it's the
/browser/ that is having problems with integrated security, then
reinstalling IIS isn't going to fix anything.

Cheers
Ken

[...]
: > :
: > : Nick
: > :
: > : : > : > Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should
be
: a
: > : > HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.
: > : >
[...]

john cowart

I have found that this is a IE security option problem most of the time where
the Security option for User Authentification is set to "Automatic logon with
current username and password". If you set it to "Automatic logon only in
Intranet zone" may help. Also you can check that Submit nonencrypted form
data is enabled.
john