Intermittant redirect to Invalid Syntax Error page

Guest

My ASP.NET application intermittantly (but always at same point) redirects to the 'Invalid Syntax Error' web page for some unknown reason.

I've created a ASP.NET application written in VB.NET with just two ASPX pages, Login.aspx and Main.aspx (both dynamically generated on each load). Users first hit Login.aspx which prompts for login details, and then performs some custom authenication and creates some session variables. If authentication is successful the user is redirected to the Main.aspx page

On occassions, after entering login details the 'Invalid Syntax Error' page is displayed (which shows the 'The page cannot be displayed. The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.' error message)
I've got error handling around all bits of code, so if an exception in the code is being thrown I would know about it. But nothing. I'm pretty sure debugging is turned on ok because I get proper ASP.NET error messages in all other areas of the web application.
If I attempt to login to the site from the WebServer machine (ie, access the site locally) then the page successfully redirects to Main.aspx but all CSS styles have been ignored
The only way to resolve the problem is to restart the World Wide Web Publishing service on the WebServer machine.

The site isn't being heavily hit (no more than three or four current sessions) but this error is happening up to three times a day.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this problem, or where I could start looking for clues

Thanks very much, Mark