Is "feedparser" deprecated?

John Nagle

Feedparser requires SGMLlib, which has been removed from Python 3.0.
Feedparser hasn't been updated since 2007. Does this mean Feedparser
is dead?

John Nagle

Gabriel Genellina

Feedparser requires SGMLlib, which has been removed from Python 3.0.
Feedparser hasn't been updated since 2007. Does this mean Feedparser
is dead?

Since we have generic and easy of use XML parsers like ElementTree and
lxml, specialized rss parsers like feedparser are not so much required.
I've used ElementTree when I had to parse an rss feed in the past (not so
many times).

John Nagle

Gabriel said:
Since we have generic and easy of use XML parsers like ElementTree and
lxml, specialized rss parsers like feedparser are not so much required.
I've used ElementTree when I had to parse an rss feed in the past (not so
many times).

Take a look at what Feedparser has to do to deal with real-world RSS
feeds. There are several hundred lines of code just to figure out the
source encoding. There's gzip support, Atom support, base 64 encoding
support... Then there's the RSS polling protocol, which also requires
some support. A basic XML parser only does part of the job.

John Nagle