is framework installed

Hugo Mind

Hi,

Is there a way through the web to find out if a client has the framework 1.1
installed ?

I want people to download an installer for our software which includes the
framework 1.1 if they haven't installed it yet, but how can I detect this to
avoid people downloading the big installer package if the already have the
framework installed.

Thnx,
Hugo

Karl Seguin

IE 6.x will pass something in the User Agent to tell you that .net is
installed by default (this can be changed) something like:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

but I know of nothing for firefox...

Karl

Juan T. Llibre

To detect whether the .Net Framework 1.1 is installed,
check for the presence of this registry key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v1.1.4322

To determine whether a Service Pack has been installed, check :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v1.1.4322
Value: SP
Data type: REG_DWORD

The data in the SP value tells you which service pack is installed for the .NET Framework
1.1.

If the value of SP is 0, no service pack is installed for the .NET Framework 1.1.
If the value is 1, Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework 1.1 is installed.

Juan T. Llibre

I missed the "through the web" part,
and thought programmatic detection was needed.

To add to Karl's info, read :

http://www.httprevealer.com/usage_dotnet.htm

Parsing Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")
for the words ".NET CLR" and specific version numbers
will identify the .Net Framework version installed.

That will work with IE 5.5+

Firefox does not identify the .Net Framework version installed at the client.