HOw do I set up the Framework?

redant34

I am new to web development and currently work for a large company and
I'm not sure how to explain what I need to IT. Can I use anything I
currently have? I don't want all these extraneous programs.
I need to let my supervisor know what I need, but he will say we
already have this installed. I'm very confused and at this point and
hate Microsoft. I am so far from being a real computer nerd and it is
very frustrating that I can't set up an asp.net environment. Can
someone please help?

I have alot of software installed on my machine here at work. These
are the Microsoft development apps currently installed:

Microsoft.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 Developer

Microsoft.NET Compact Framework 2.0

Microsoft.NET Framework (English) v1.0.3705

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)

Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Installed On
WPF2_32
WF
WPF_Other
WF_32
WPF2
XPS
WCS
WPF_Other_32
WCF
WPF_1

Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Hotfix for Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)

Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP

Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile [ENU] Developer Tools

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects

Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.3

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client

Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)

Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

MIcrosoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729

Microsoft Visual C++ 8.0 Support DLLS

MIcrosoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect - English

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition - ENU

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack
1 (KB926601)

Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component

UPdate

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU

9 Hotfixes 1 Update

Microsoft Web Platform Installer

Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio .NET 2003

MSDN Library for Visual Studio .NET 2003

Any help is greatly appreciated!

redant34

I need to set up a website and I want to use VWD Express. I also want
to be able to connect to a SQL Server Database.

When I try to open IIS I get an error "THe snap-in below, referenced
in this document has been restricted by policy. Contact your
administrator for details.

I think I have to set up a site in IIS and I can't open it.

William Niver

The Framework is installed and you look to have everything you need to begin
development.

You need to make sure that your user account has admin rights on your
machine.

To create a website, open Visual Studio 2008 and select "Create a New
Website"

Hit F5 to launch the site in debug mode.

Once you do that, yer gonna need some educational and reference materials.
Learning .Net is not as difficult as it may seem, but there are several
technologies you have to become familiar with to do it (HTML, JavaScript,
CSS, SQL, managing IIS and how to code in whatever your chosen .Net
language)

I prefer the "For Dummies" series for novice developers because they give
good step-by-step instructions for accomplishing a given task.
HTML for Dummies, JavaScript for Dummies, ASP.NET 3.5 for Dummies and Visual
Studio for Dummies wouldn't be a bad start.

Once you can perform the basic tasks of creating a site in IIS, connecting
to Data, creating SQL Statements, displaying information to the user,
updating the data and publishing the site (and most people can learn these
tasks in a couple days to a week), you'll be well on your way to stardom!

William

redant34

I do know HTML CSS some SQL, Javascript yadda yadda, but I still get
confused about the development environment. I've been using
Dreamweaver and Flash mostly. Well I will try what you said but don't
I need IIS to create a database?

redant34

OK

"Because of the built-in VWD Web server you don't need to create
virtual directories in IIS. In fact, any folder with ASPX pages can
be considered a Web site. VWD doesn't require special project files
to maintain a list of all the Web pages that are part of a Web site.
This makes working as a team on a single Web site easier than ever
before because there won't be any contention for files that control
the entire site."

Jesse Houwing

Hello redant34,
I do know HTML CSS some SQL, Javascript yadda yadda, but I still get
confused about the development environment. I've been using
Dreamweaver and Flash mostly. Well I will try what you said but don't
I need IIS to create a database?

No you don't need IIS to create a database. The databse (which you have already
installed it seems) is hosted in it's own service and runs independent of
IIS. IIS is used to serve websites, but if you're using Visual Studio 2005
or later you can use the built in development webserver that comes with it.

redant34

Thanks