Is Java good for database, printing and report?

Silas Justiniano

Hello all!

I've been using Tcl/Tk for a bookstore management app. I see it's
really so powerfull. But I'm disappointed with the following things:

- report generation (The best way is generate HTML and print from the
default browser)
- draw generation (I must use Ghostscript to print my drawings, which
is a pain in the neck if I want to ship my app).

I will start a new database app and would like to listen you about some
languages/toolkit you've used.

I'm fan of dinamic typed languages, but nowadays I've been pondering
using Java/Swing. What could you say me about that?

Thank you very much! Bye!

Roedy Green

- draw generation (I must use Ghostscript to print my drawings, which
is a pain in the neck if I want to ship my app).

A database can't very well be expected to draw for you. That is not
its purpose.

If you are doing maps, there are special mapping databases with
integrated drawing tools. I have not used these since the 80s.

There are many other drawing tools besides PostScript. Perhaps you
want something higher level.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/graph.html

Roedy Green

I'm fan of dinamic typed languages, but nowadays I've been pondering
using Java/Swing. What could you say me about that?

Have a quick look. Start at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/swing.html

Follow the links to Sun's docs, and look particularly at the tutorials
to see what is possible and roughly how much crud you have to write to
get the desired effect.